New pollen proposal for period starting Nov 30

Itā€™s kind of sounding like Iā€™m not going to be able to please willjgriff as well as everyone else here. I think I will just submit the original proposal as described since we cannot seem to come to a different consensus.

Edit:
the proposal is here: https://1hive.org/#/proposal/80

I like the fact that you are putting a dollar value on it because HNY is not money and everything even BTC is calculated in dollars to put a value on it in the ā€œrealā€ world.
Even if you buy something with BTC directly the seller will still convert $ to BTC to tell you his price.
I think 50 HNY is not too much considering you are going to cap the distribution at 15K$ (which at one point was 60K which was wayyy too much) so if we believe in time the price will go up then the distributed HNY will go down.

However for this proposal to pass it will need some support of the seeds so if all the seeds agree with willjgriff we will have to come to some kind of middleground.

It may not need support from seeds, the farm proposal didnā€™t. That said, I welcome anyone to share their opinion here and if we can come to a new consensus I will create a new proposal.

3 Likes

Thanks for your work on this sand, you have a tough job with this one. We are in a bit of a catch 22. I agree with Will, projects have a better ROI than the pollen, faucet, and farms.

Ultimately top priority is budget and issuance. I canā€™t foresee anything changing significantly until that happens. So I support this proposal or whatever reasonable number it gets changed to so it can buy us time for the budget to be finalized over the next 2-3 weeks @boring877 @Blazar . Yeah I just volunteered you two :blush:

3 Likes

Oops, donā€™t know how I got 190 :joy: Fair point. Still, Iā€™ve made my case.

1 Like

Great work @befitsandpiper!

It would be nice to see an opinion from all the @fauna members, since they are the voice of the community.

My personal thoughts, given that there are other voices we need to hear, is to do 40HNY(around 12k atm) for the next two weeks and take it from there.

@willjgriff @befitsandpiper would a compromise be instead of funding it for 5 weeks we fund it for 3 weeks until we can get swarms functioning better?

1 Like

I agree with @willjgriff, swarm projects are higher leverage than focusing on attracting more community members to be involved. I think we have a really strong community already and thereā€™s a point you reach where more new members donā€™t add that much value. I may be wrong but thatā€™s my opinion.
I think putting more focus on the projects will bring more interest from people on its own.

Even though sourcecred has brought a lot of value to the community, i still think and we have experienced that is not a perfect tool for measuring value provided and agree we should treat it as an extra and not something that should be relied as salary income thatā€™s why i think 50 per week is way too much.

I propose a weekly distribution of 30 HNY if 30 HNY is worth less than $20k, or the HNY value of $20k, if 30 HNY is worth more than $20k.

I agree with this, we could also do the current 33 HNY instead of 30.

1 Like

I donā€™t mind going with 33 HNY with a cap at 20K$ if thatā€™s what seeds think is appropriate.
Even if this could be passed without seeds i think unlike farms a proposal like this one would be better to have consent of everyone including the seeds.

I say we create a poll and put this to rest. Only atleast basic or member level discourse userā€™s vote can count as valid to check abuse.

1 Like

I think a poll is a good idea.

I donā€™t like tying anything to fiat, especially fedbags, but it is what it is I guess. I like that I get paid out in HNY regardless of price.

I also donā€™t know amounts that are reasonable.

I agree pollen distribution is not and should not be a salary. That said, I really like getting HNY every week. Love the little bump.

2 Likes

A poll wonā€™t show us much because if all seeds disagree it can still get majority vote for 50 HNY, such a big distribution should get overall approval from the community including seeds in my opinion.

1Hive is not run by seeds. unless iā€™m missing something.

The seeds themselves have said time and time again that they are just people that arrived very early. so i donā€™t see your point unless you are talking about the influence of their large honey stacks.

1 Like

Their contribution is key to expanding 1Hive, this isnā€™t the same as a farming proposal, this is about longterm taking HNY from the pool so i can understand when they compare the HNY going to pollen with HNY given for celeste development for exampleā€¦
Itā€™s not gonna pass anyway without their support in voting.

And reducing it to 33 HNY with a 20K$ cap shouldnā€™t be a big deal because swarms get compensated with individual proposals anyway.

Everybodyā€™s contribution matters. This is not longterm its only for 6 or 4 weeks or whatever we decide. I expect you to provide a solid argument in favour of why you think the amount you are supporting should be used. And not just agreeing with what someone said because he is seed. I donā€™t think thats healthy IMO.

1 Like

This is longterm, if its agreed that 50 HNY a week is good for pollen then next month the discussion will start at 50 HNY.
And i gave several arguments like comparing the pollen with celeste compensation, swarms get individual proposals for their work and that i think that such a proposal should get overall consent from the community and it wonā€™t pass without their support.

I can make a poll, but these polls on discourse are informative only, and are easy for random brand new members to come in to vote. Thereā€™s not a super simple way to restrict polls by trust levels afaik.

Edit: polls are in the original post New pollen proposal for period starting Nov 30 plz vote.

I can take on the task of filtering the voters to determine which votes are valid, iā€™ll prepare the names of everyone that voted, what they voted for and their discourse trust level. As long as the poll isnā€™t anonymous and its one person one vote not multi optional.

it is multi-optional, but not anonymous. I use the standard that Maker does for their forums and I believe it is a good system.