๐Ÿ”— Run your own local xDai node (Updated for London hardfork)

Thanks for sharing. I only have one computer. It seems unsuitable to be a node.

On the contrary, this is an excellent way to run a node on your personal one. Itโ€™s not a validator node after all. Just rememeber to have it sync back up before using it.

@tacotexmex excellent guide, a brother question what benefits does the activation of these nodes have

Activation? If you mean what the benefits are from running your own node itโ€™s stated in the first post.

Nodes on xdaichain means those hold legers? Do they gain benefits for their distribution? What kind of relationship is there between validators and simple node you can run locally? I have been thinking about xdai chain and stake marketing for a few days. These arguments will make the issue clearer to me. Tnx

Excellent, I am about to buy a new computer, having it I will try to make your guide if I have any questions I will let you know, thank you! and excellent contribution! :white_check_mark:

All nodes hold the ledgers. Some nodes are validator nodes meaning they confirm transactions and get paid to do so. Both type of nodes can run on the same software.

Excellent, having the computer I ask you for advice

Great, thank you for your good sharing. :+1:

Hello bees :honeybee:
The guide has been updated for OpenEthereum 3.2.5 which is needed for the upcoming Berlin hardfork on the xDai chain. Enjoy!

There is a Docker version available although not covered here (yet). :blush:

1 Like

Pretty interesntig topic, Iโ€™m pretty noob on this node/validator thing so I was wondering whatโ€™s the benefit on running a node? Is it like mining or smtg?

Running a node goes a long with the โ€œDonโ€™t Trust, Verifyโ€ kind of sentiment. If you get information from a malicious node then you have an incorrect view of the blockchainโ€ฆwhich can lead to you performing an action you wouldnโ€™t have otherwise done. You can also increase your security in terms of obfuscating who or where you are in real life by using your own node.

Those unwilling or unable to run their own full validator node still have an alternative. Right here on xDai chain Peerion DAO is making co-ownership of an xDai validator node possible.

I think the minimum eligible share amount is 20 $STAKE and DaoHaus is used for dao management. I donโ€™t want to sound like Iโ€™m shilling them. Just letting the community know what options Iโ€™ve encountered. Do your own research.

Youโ€™re slightly off-topic addressing validator node runners since this thread is not about running validator nodes, but good knowledge nonetheless.

@tacotexmex Excuse me, a question for node activation does it require a specific amount of ram or hardware level requirements? :no_mouth:

Not that I know of, meaning that Iโ€™m able to comfortably run a node on an i3 PC claiming around 600 MB of RAM while performing all my regular computer tasks Iโ€™d like.

excellent then, being at home I will put myself to activate or try that!

thanks for your answer! @tacotexmex

How long does it take?
I spent the whole night

No content downloaded

The system is win10

Try two nights then :slight_smile: Your client seem to not get connected to a majority of peers, for whatever reason. This might affect the sync speed (as well as other factors such as your maximum bandwidth etc).