1Hive Forum Guidelines - Draft

Hey 1Hive Community! As a new member of this community (only a few months old), I have started to notice the growth in Discord and Forum in relation to community engagement. I have also seen a few robust discussions on Discord on a few channels on the topics of rationalising the Discord server setup and also the forum itself to ensure that as a community we are able to give the best possible platforms to new beez and existing members to communicate and discuss about 1Hive. After having participated in some of those discussions, it has become apparent that we need a set of guidelines for the forum to be able to direct the community to keep the forum from being a spam space and unorganised. I did some research on other DAO forums and have extracted this set of guidelines which could be a starting point for 1Hive and evolve with the community needs. These could also provide assistance in moderation for any beez. I intend to leave it here for a few weeks to collect larger community feedback and then ask one of the #fauna team members with the right permission to pin it to forum.

I have started this on HackMD and it has worked well. I would appreciate any comments either directly on the HackMD space or underneath this thread which I hope to collate prior to finalising this guideline. For those that do not want to click through another link, I have posted the draft as is here.
If you like to provide direct comment here is a link to the live doc https://hackmd.io/I46kU0zgRI2y0G0qhSXupA

Thanks to @solarmkd @eenti for assisting with the review of this internally in #fauna.

1 Hive Forum Guidelines

Contents Overview

This is a Civilized Place for Public Discussion

Please treat this discussion forum with the same respect you would a public park. We, too, are a shared community resource ā€” a place to share skills, knowledge and interests through ongoing conversation.

These are not hard and fast rules, merely guidelines to aid the human judgment of our community and keep this a clean and well-lighted place for civilized public discourse.

Improve the Discussion

Help us make this a great place for discussion by always working to improve the discussion in some way, however small. If you are not sure your post adds to the conversation, think over what you want to say and try again later.

The topics discussed here matter to us, and we want you to act as if they matter to you, too. Be respectful of the topics and the people discussing them, even if you disagree with some of what is being said.

One way to improve the discussion is by discovering ones that are already happening. Spend time browsing the topics here before replying or starting your own, and youā€™ll have a better chance of meeting others who share your interests.

Be Agreeable, Even When You Disagree

You may wish to respond to something by disagreeing with it. Thatā€™s fine. But remember to criticize ideas, not people. Please avoid:

• Name-calling
  • Ad hominem attacks
  • Responding to a postā€™s tone instead of its actual content
  • Knee-jerk contradiction
  • Instead, provide reasoned counter-arguments that improve the conversation.

Your Participation Counts

The conversations we have here set the tone for every new arrival. Help us influence the future of this community by choosing to engage in discussions that make this forum an interesting place to be ā€” and avoiding those that do not.

Discourse provides tools that enable the community to collectively identify the best (and worst) contributions: bookmarks, likes, flags, replies, edits, and so forth. Use these tools to improve your own experience, and everyone elseā€™s, too.

Letā€™s leave our community better than we found it.

If You See a Problem, Flag It

Moderators have special authority; they are responsible for this forum. But so are you. With your help, moderators can be community facilitators, not just janitors or police.

When you see bad behaviour, donā€™t reply. It encourages the bad behaviour by acknowledging it, consumes your energy, and wastes everyoneā€™s time. Just flag it. If enough flags accrue, action will be taken, either automatically or by moderator intervention.

In order to maintain our community, moderators reserve the right to remove any content and any user account for any reason at any time. Moderators do not preview new posts; the moderators and site operators take no responsibility for any content posted by the community.

Always Be Civil

Nothing sabotages a healthy conversation like rudeness:

• Be civil. Donā€™t post anything that a reasonable person would consider offensive, abusive, or hate speech.
  • Keep it clean. Donā€™t post anything obscene or sexually explicit.
  • Respect each other. Donā€™t harass or grief anyone, impersonate people, or expose their private information.
  • Respect our forum. Donā€™t post spam or otherwise vandalize the forum.
  • These are not concrete terms with precise definitions ā€” avoid even the appearance of any of these things. If youā€™re unsure, ask yourself how you would feel if your post was featured on the front page of the New York Times.

This is a public forum, and search engines index these discussions. Keep the language, links, and images safe for family and friends.

Keep It Tidy

Make the effort to put things in the right place, so that we can spend more time discussing and less cleaning up. So:

• Donā€™t start a topic in the wrong category.
  • Donā€™t cross-post the same thing in multiple topics.
  • Donā€™t post no-content replies.
  • Donā€™t divert a topic by changing it midstream.
  • Donā€™t sign your posts ā€” every post has your profile information attached to it.
  • Rather than posting ā€œ+1ā€ or ā€œAgreedā€, use the Like button. Rather than taking an existing topic in a radically different direction, use Reply as a Linked Topic.

Post Only Your Own Stuff

You may not post anything digital that belongs to someone else without permission. You may not post descriptions of, links to, or methods for stealing someoneā€™s intellectual property (software, video, audio, images), or for breaking any other law.

Forum Posting Guidelines

There are currently 6 categories to which you can post in the forum

1. Community
  2. Ideas
  3. Proposals
  4. Honey
  5. Support
  6. Cafe

Each of the above categories have a ā€˜Pinned Postā€™ that gives a brief about the category and which posts are relevant to this category. Please take the time to acquaint yourself with these pinned posts prior to making any new posts. As this a community forum, if we can keep the forum posts in specific categories it will help with the overall user experience and consistent documentation of the ideas from the 1Hive community. Also note that each ā€˜Pinned Postā€™ in some categories such as ā€˜Proposalsā€™ has a pre-determined format that the community has been using which keeps posts consistent and also provides the readers all the information that is expected from a post of that category. If possible follow the template and keep posts consistent.

If as a user you find posts that have not been posted to the right category, provide a comment to the original poster and request for them to re-consider the category. If you think that a post may not be following the guidelines, flag it so that this can be communicated to the moderators.