"Add HNY to your wallet" button on UI

Proposal Title

“Add HNY to your wallet” button on UI

Proposal Information

Proposal description:
Design and develop a button on the UI of Honey related sites (Faucet, Honeyswap, etc) to add HNY to the user wallet of choice (Metamask for example). This button would allow users to set the HNY Token with1-click action, instead of manually adding the configuration for a custom token (token address, symbol, decimals, and logo).

Proposal on Honey Pot https://1hive.org/#/proposal/31

Proposal Rationale
There are various reasons for implementing this button, and it’s important to consider that these kind of action button is recommended as a best practice by wallet providers.

1. UX. Improve user experience on sites UI/UX, mostly for newcomers but not exclusively, given that for example on Metamask it is not possible to add a token logo using the “Add Custom Token” procedure, only the address, symbol, and decimals.
    So instead of having this:

We would have this :star_struck: :

1. Security. Having an official and automated method to add HNY to wallets would improve security given that the manual process “can be cumbersome, and involves the user interacting with contract addresses, and is very error prone”, as stated on Metamask official docs. Additionally it could prevent false-token related scams that have already been reported on discord and telegram channels.

2. Onboarding. Making it easier to add HNY to users wallets would improve engagement with the 1Hive ecosystem for newcomers that arrive through the Faucet, eliminating some friction and challenges that not-so-expierenced users have dealing with the xdai network, the bridge, etc

The methods used for implementation of the feature are specified on EIP-747.
More aspects, rationale and motivation regarding this procedure can be found here

Expected duration or delivery date (if applicable):
We expect to deliver in 3 days of work upon aproval

Team Information (For Funding Proposals)

Famole | Full stack Dev, has been contributing to the 1hive github in recent weeks
Viken | Dev, has been contributing to the community con github and discord
Designer | We need a designer for button design and UI placement. It would be great if Fiore or another designer :honeybee: could contribute on this one.

Skills and previous experience in related or similar work:
We have a proof of concept working but we need some time to do proper testing and integration with the sites.

Funding Information (For Funding Proposals)

1 HNY in total, 0.4 for each dev and 0.2 for the designer.
The amount is based on amount of work and current price of HNY.

Ethereum address where funds shall be transferred:
Famole 0xC1582C0E57A144131d0546128203e8FC6924b17f
Viken 0xf1e2Bc6782CE613E4425942c81B8455A6C3d3f83
Designer - designer address

EDIT
The proposal funding was reduced from 5 HNY to 1 HNY in total based on general feedback from the hive. The distribution remains in the same proportion

5 Likes

I mean, the idea is good, but 5 HNY for adding a button? this is WAY to much

3 Likes

Agree, also doesn’t seem right to me that if you have a full stack dev, you need another dev to work on a button too. Can the full stack not handle it? Does the contributor dev need same pay as surely the full stack is doing more work?

@cryptoclip I’ll answer your concerns.
Can the full stack not handle it? Yes i can.
Does the contributor dev need same pay as surely the full stack is doing more work? Not sure what’s the point here, but if the amount of honey is the issue we can low it down.

This proposal was created by two people in order to get one of them involved with the technology and pair programming it.
We are trying to add a “button” that adds real value. Also we need design from someone else in order to put this in faucet and honeyswap, and that person should be rewarded.

1 Like

Why need 5 HNY to add this button ? Any way we can discussion ?

It’s a nice feature, but 5 HNY is to much.

I think the proposal brings a lot of value indeed if it’s possible to accomplish. The proposal is well written too and has a lot of sense for HNY but also for all the other tokens in the honeyswap default list.

I also think like some of the other bees in this thread, 5 HNY for a button is too much, so I suggest to undertake a more ambitious project if you want to request that amount.

We need a better support for bridged tokens on xDAI, as they don’t appear by default in Metamask, and they don’t have a logo. I propose to include these tasks in the proposal:

• Provide an “add to wallet” button for each token in the default token list (maybe we want to fork tokenlist.org for that, so we can also replace etherscan links).
  • Provide an “add to wallet” button to tokens that have been recently bridged or swaped in both omnibridge and honeyswap. Their interfaces should be modified to add this button.
  • Provide an “add to wallet” button to all the tokens listed in info.honeyswap.org, specifically in the footer of each token view.
  • Other improvements on the whole system related to usability issues with the web3 ecosystem.

I think your idea is good and I am willing to support your proposal if you can solve more of those problems at once. This video is a good source of inspiration, we need to reduce the onboarding overhead, because it’s taking too much steps to use xDAI.

Does any suggestion comes to your mind to improve the overall experience? Would you be willing to implement it?

3 Likes

I echo the opinion that 5 HNY and 2 developers is probably too much to accomplish what is essentially adding a button 1hive.org and calling web3.currentProvider.sendAsync({ method: 'metamask_watchAsset', ... }). On the other hand, we could add this button to Honeyswap Info as well, but this represents pretty much an equal amount of work. If we assume that this is probably not going to take more than an hour, which I would strongly assume since I could probably do it in that time myself, then that represents a $1250/hour wage assuming an even split between 2 developers and a designer.

If my assumptions are wrong and there is more to this proposal, then I would like you to clarify as a lot of people have the same concern in this proposal thread :slight_smile:

Other than that, I commend you on the well-written proposal.

1 Like

Just going to echo the other comments here: great proposal, great feature, can we have it for, say, 1 HNY? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hey bees :honeybee: , thank you all for replying! This is really great feedback.

We get that the general take is that the funding is too much, but please don’t take as “just a button”, it’s a feature based on EIP 747. Personally is the first time that I budget an idea based on a non-pegged asset/token so, I couldn’t find the right criteria to do it. I think @anisoptera had the same doubts at first making the honeycomb proposal.

So maybe we could do it for 1 HNY in total and gain support that way. We are two devs basically because the idea came up talking about the UI and how to improve it therefore It came out naturally as a team project :man_shrugging:.

We are going to edit the proposal funding and then explore more features based on Sems ideas which we find great btw! Thanks @sem for your thougthful reply!

4 Likes

nice ideas man I like it. I think this will help to gain more trust among the new users. If you can do something with funding part it will be awesome.

3 Likes

I could help with the designing part of the button, could you be more specific about where you would want the button (which sites, placement etc.) just a general idea so I could start working on it.

EDIT: We can also further discuss this on Discord if you want.

1 Like

with price of HNY currently suppose 1 HNY isn’t bad but move the decimal to 0.1 HNY and you have a deal.

Can you post link to the actual proposal on 1hive and I will support it with the reduced amount of HNY

thanks for your support!!

1 Like

Hey did you worked on this yet, the proposal was already executed.

Hey guys, we have it almost ready, the thing is @famole had an emergency surgery for appendicitis. He’s all right now but will be offline for a couple of days.

Hello everyone, first of all i wanted to say sorry for the time that i took to send this feature.
I had some health issues that ended up into a surgery on the other hand my regular job overloading me the last few weeks before the surgery. But yes, these were the main issues for what i’m sending this 1 month late, sorry again guys.

Back on business, here are the PRs, let me know if you have any comment.

1 Like

I hope you’re doing well now. I have asked this about a week back and viken said about it.

Anyway thank you for the work.

2 Likes

Great job, thank you for sending this!

1 Like