Charitable Ideas and Projects

I just wanted to start a Charitable topic for Ideas and Projects - Its good to give back

I was thinking about reserving a fund for Saving the Bees or Bee Preservation. Any thoughts? Partnering with a non profit or something.

I presented this allready in introductions but im pretty sure it got lost in the flow. What if we raised a fund to support small time bee keepers (such as myself) to alleviate the financial burden beekeeping brings with it? I am suggesting we partner up with osbeehives, arnia, beehivemonitoring or ruuvi to develope a system of monitoring a hive in order to produce a “proof of bees.” The keeper gets an airdrop of hny every month she/he operating a thriving hive and as a bonus she/he gets valuable information about their hive like when a swarming is about to happen. The partner gets to sell the monitoring hardware and hny gets marketing and expanded userbase… and a real life use case.

what kind of hive monitoring would be be helpful to a bee keeper?

I have used ruuvitag which measures humidity, temperature and movement. Humidity and temp. can be used in evaluating the overall health of the hive. Movement can be used as a theft alarm and perhaps used as a alarm for increased activity in the hive signaling that a swarm is about to leave. Beehivemonitor measures temp. and humidity and evaluates healt and swarming using algorithm. I have used it in a hive and found it that may give false signals. Still it can be used same as ruuvi. Plus it has a gsm module which helps a lot. Still waiting on osbeehives to deliver my buzzbox, been waiting since the kickstarter campaing :slight_smile: I haven’t used arnia but it seems promising. To a hobbyist the swarm control is the main benefit and health monitoring is nice to know. Semi professional can benefit in reduced visits to a hive.

very interesting, funny enough the type of data that you mentioned may correlate with another project that I been following. It is called Helium, Helium and its supposed to be a LORA network that can transmit basic data (such as temperature sensors etc) through non cellular network essentially transmitting such data for pennies on the dollar (or so they tey say). I am not sure how tech savy you are but I figured I should mention it to you since from my point of view is something that you can potentially utilize and perhaps may be cheaper? I haven’t looked into the projects you mentions but I will take a glance when I have time.

1 Like

Yep, Lorawan would work in Finland also. Maybe on other locations around the world also. Sadly very few hardware solutions seem to support it. Another project which might be worth looking into would be streamr.

I looked into some of the tech that u mentioned, I find the ruuvitag pretty cool and versitile. On another note I was wondering do you harvest the honey or do you simply just maintain hives as a hobby?

I harvest some for own use. This years harvest but pretty low for 2 hives only 6 kg. I think ruuvi has had a iota application made for it couple of years ago . 30 euros and 1 year batterylife is pretty good.

Could be suitable partners:

I like the world bee project, I didn’t read too much about hiveeyes ( I personally didn’t like their website layout… call me lazy lol) Is there any type of national or international registrar for bee keepers or any type of license to certify that someone is a legitimate beekeeper that that upholds a certain beekeeping standard?

In Finland and I guess most countries have a national beekeepers association. Ppl are encouraged to join if they keep bees. Also locations of the hives should be notified to municipality if you have bees. https://www.mehilaishoitajat.fi/liitto/in-english/ is the finnish association. I have taken the shourt course on beekeeping but you could get certified and get the degree through vocational institute.