DEFI TIMES - Newsletter Article and Podcast

DEFI TIMES - Newsletter Article and Podcast

Hey guys,

this is Fabian from DEFI TIMES. I first found out about HoneySwap about a month ago. I really started to get excited about the project and bought my first HNY. But I saw one problem: there wasn’t a lot of information out there about the project. I wanted to read a quick but precise analysis about how HoneySwap work, what it is about, what problem it solves, and how to actually buy HNY.

But I really couldn’t find such an article. That’s why we at DEFI TIMES decided to dig deep into HoneySwap and write it ourselves.

On Monday, we released this article and a Podcast version of it.

Newsletter Article
Podcast

This proposal is meant is a compensation for our time and effort to educate the DeFi community about HoneySwap.

In the article we not only explained what HNY is all about but we also gave a detailed guide on how to connect your Metamask wallet to the xDai network, how to get your DAI on the xDai chain, how to use HoneySwap and so on.

Our readers loved it! We received positive feedback about the article and many readers tried to use HoneySwap themselves. They loved the fact that Ethereum can actually scale TODAY.

Spreading the word
Especially for decentralized projects, media coverage is important. There is no central entity/company behind spending money on marketing. DAOs can help to fix this problem as media companies can get paid for advertising a specific decentralized project.

We will continue to spread to word about HoneySwap on our newsletter, Podcast and soon: YouTube channel.

HoneySwap is an awesome project and DEFI TIMES is happy to be part of this amazing community!

Funding Information
Amount of HNY requested: 0.65

Ethereum address where funds shall be transferred: 0xDC9d5ba277bA2e11AC5D7E8D70Fe2508b312c9c2

More detailed description of how funds will be handled and used: Funds will be used to keep the newsletter up and running. Funds will go into further development of our media company: Podcast, YouTube channel and Twitter Ads

5 Likes

hello Fabian ^^&,

its nice to see positive feed back that you got . :slight_smile: i am having hard time to know the funding what’s needed for ? , also it would be nice to explain where the funding going to go . and what the community excepting from it .

thanks

What kind of exposure does this add?
How many people are reading and listening to the podcast?

There’s a lot of important information that is missing. Also, we have a lot of people adding exposure to the project, you can come to the Discord and have a chat with them! They’re in the #buzz channel

I’m glad you’re excited about HoneySwap!

2 Likes

Hey Fabi! Love the article and the podcast. I think you spoke to me initially in the Discord and you delivered! I love the work you guys have put in on your site and the podcast is a nice touch. We are in the process of creating a marketing budget if you have time within the next few days hop on and message me and we can discuss your proposal and future collaborations

4 Likes

Great work, thank you, your proposal and work definitely deserve support.

1 Like

Welcome @Fabi, this is cool to see. While I have a few concerns around the valuation, I think this adds value and paying some HNY makes sense. I just wonder about the amount.

Concern #1: I’m not sure 1Hive’s policy (if there can be such a thing) on asking for payment in arrears (asking for HNY after you’ve done the work on your own accord). I’m personally for this. It derisks the work for 1Hive, and just doing the work without asking permission saves 1Hive governance overhead. It also looks like you soft pitched the idea in Discord and @D0SH seems to have at least signaled that this was valuable. I do think you have to be OK though if 1Hive decides not to fund this, as that is a risk you take on doing ‘spec work’.

Concern #2: Did you decide to produce this for 1Hive? Honeyswap is a fairly hot topic. I can imagine a newsletter has an incentive to write a piece on its own. I personally think value should be rewarded regardless. But others may have differing opinions, and would be curious to hear any context you’re comfortable sharing.

Concern #3: Overlap. We currently have a proposal to build a wiki with lots of the basic info you provide. If this passes, that will likely be the main source of truth, diminishing the reuse value of this content.

Concern #4: Audience. Can you provide more info on your audience? How many views this got? A quick scan only shows the newsletter itself, not seeing a website, social media feeds, etc. Part of what is being paid for here is attention. Without engagement metrics, it’s difficult to gauge that.

Also, the podcast reading version is cool. But wondering how it was generated? Was this read by yourself, or AI? AI is getting damn good these days, and it’s hard to tell. If it’s AI-generated, this took much less time to produce I assume. Perhaps that shouldn’t be a factor in the overall valuation. Just wanted to know before I vote.

In summary: I think this definitely provided value. You pinged bees in Discord, got accurate info, and created content that is useful. I personally think paying in arrears is fine. At first glance, 0.65 HNY doesn’t seem unreasonable, but I’m struggling to place a valuation on this due to the above concerns.

We’ve discussed this some on other proposals as well as on Discord, and it is definitely ok to ask after the fact. It’s preferred in the sense that the community then can see exactly what was produced.

2 Likes

Is it fair to pay less if ai was used?
Isn’t the point the product and the effect?

It’s an interesting philosophical question. Why is the below photorealistic painting currently selling for $1,600?

I could take a photo of this house for free!

The answer is, presumably, appreciation of the skill required and knowledge that a human must have spent many hours (perhaps hundreds of hours? thousands?) painting it. It’s “Proof-of-Work” (PoW). Same reason one Bitcoin is currently worth $18,885, when all it is is a string of numbers. It is commonly accepted that this valuation is largely based on the fact that it took a human spending lots of money, time and labor mining it. Basically, it comes down to consensus mechanisms. As HNY holders, we’re here reaching consensus on the value of this work. And that, for me, and I suspect others, is not just about the objective ‘impact’ the work has had. It’s also about 1Hive’s relationship with @Fabi. If we pay for this, we’re encouraging more collaboration with them, and signaling to others there’s a greater chance we’ll pay for similar ‘spec work’. The amount of time @Fabi put into this is a valuable signal in gauging their commitment to the project. Doing a voiceover I imagine would take several hours potentially, more if English is not their second language. I’m more likely to vote yes for someone that has demonstrated more commitment to the project, as that is partly an investment in them. If someone is just hopping from project to project, trying to get paid however they can, as much as they can, more power to them. But that’s valuable info to know.

NOW, long tangent aside, if it’s AI, that doesn’t mean I won’t vote yes. It’s not that important here IMO, as it’s a derivative of the main piece of content. It’s a smart move as a content creator. If @Fabi responds saying they refuse to disclose this, I might respect that more :man_shrugging:. Just felt like going with the tangent :slight_smile:

1 Like

But what are we compensating for?