Fauna (Moderation) Swarm Proposal

And again, the scamming comment was out of line so i apologize for that and i donā€™t want to shit on your previous provided work, i supported the current proposal for 31.5 HNY because thats for december and that work has already been provided.
I just hope that January will be a bit different and you work on updating Fauna like sandpiper suggested.

3 Likes

Also wanted to share my thoughts on the proposal specifically.

I think that the individuals on the Fauna swarm have in general been exemplary members of the community, helping to moderate and uphold the community covenant across various channels, but also help onboard new community members, and promote a culture that is inclusive and enjoyable to be a part of. I think the fact that we now have many members who provide similar value to those in fauna and could likely fill the role is both a sign of the job that they have done and continue to do, but also a source of tension because the designation may sometimes feel arbitrary.

In many (most) online communities, moderating isnā€™t a paid position, it is generally done on a volunteer basis. People do it both because they enjoy being part of these communities and helping to nurture them, and because the somewhat intangible status and privileges associated with moderating a community provide non-financial motivations for putting in the time and effort required to be a good community moderator.

However, I think that unlike most online communities, 1Hive benefits financially from nurturing a strong community and culture and so we shouldnā€™t be afraid to provide compensation for people that are putting time and effort into this workā€“though figuring a good way to compensate for this type of role (and who to compensate) is difficult and doing it wrong can cause or exacerbate many issues.

• People may be willing to do similar work for less or for free (Again moderation is often done by volunteers)
  • People may already being providing similar value but donā€™t happen to have the role, and so the in-group out-group dynamic feels unfair
  • The actual amount of ā€œworkā€ being done is difficult to quantify and can vary a lot day to day, week to week, or month to month.
  • Moderation is often sensitive, navigating the line between censorship and moderation, choosing how much leeway is appropriate, and requires trusting members with permissions and authority.

From the conversations Iā€™ve had with individuals who have asked my thoughts on this proposal via DM, as well as with Fauna members, I think that its pretty broadly held opinion that while Fauna have generally done a good job, the current structure and budget doesnā€™t feel quite right.

I generally donā€™t mind supporting this proposal as is, though I do think and expect that there should be more work done to restructure or rethink some of the roles and expectations of Fauna as the community has both grown in terms of consistent highly engaged and aligned members, but also shrunk in terms of the flood of new members who are unfamiliar with our community.

Here are some of the things that I personal think might be worth considering.

• Make moderation including granting the privileges associated with it a role, it may make sense for this to be purely voluntary and not compensated, with the expectation that people that are trusted enough to have those privileges are probably going to be actively involved in other compensated roles.
  • Establish more specific roles and expectations for things like community support, onboarding/mentorship, and other things that are sort of above and beyond typical moderation duties but still sort of fall into the current Fauna umbrella, then create proposals for those specifically.
  • Consider using something like dot voting to allocate the budget between members rather than dividing the budget based on number of hours or number of people, because being online 24/7 may be less relevant than responding to pings quickly or facilitating impactful discussions.

Also with regard to the number of Fauna members, I think this is somewhat irrelevant to the budget. I donā€™t think we should be thinking of this in terms of a full-time or part-time salary per person in the swarm, but rather as a pool of funds the swarm can use to allocate. The number of people involved shouldnā€™t matter too much, though I tend to prefer closer to the current 10 than 3 or 4, simply because I think its helpful to have a relatively broad set of perspectives that can chime in as peers when there are questions of how to handle specific moderation situations (especially censorship related). It doesnā€™t mean you need 10 people actively trying to moderate 24/7.

Also I think this type of discourse is a really good sign. Iā€™m generally really optimistic because I see people in this thread responding to feedback, looking to improve things and being flexible, those who are critical being both patient and respectful of others views.

10 Likes

I have a friend who handles social media for a company, itā€™s a major source of their media operations, but from what Iā€™ve been told itā€™s not necessary or expected to have moderation 24/7. More like 9/7 or 10/7. Serious disputes can wait until work hours. Things like banning a runaway troll thread can be handled on a volunteer basis if no mods are available. Sourcecred incentivizes good behavior and helpfulness as well.

1 Like

Is it a crypto company?
Is participation global?

Lack of moderation and lack of help onboarding has already cost us very very dearly.

2 Likes

Fauna does more than moderate.
Moderation is not all Fauna does.

The conversation is centered on how many *moderators * are needed. If all someone does is moderate, sure 6 or 8. Idk anyone else, but I would burn out quickly if all I had time to do on this project is moderate social media, regardless of compensation.

From the Community Covenant:
The goal of the 1hive protocol is to foster a healthy community economy by allocating a steady stream of Honey towards development, maintenance, and improvement of the common goods that bring the most value to the 1hive community.

Active and inviting social media is a common good and is central to developing the 1Hive community.

2 Likes

Global customer base, but not crypto. Sorry, she does a lot more than moderate. All social media work, which includes posts on various platforms, hiring influencers etc. This is one example. Iā€™d like to see examples of how crypto companies handle marketing and social media for point of comparison as these proposed numbers seem to be speculative. ā€œThis is how MKR handles social media workā€¦ā€ etc.

How many languages is she covering?