Proposal process setup change/improvement

As i’m quite new, it’s possible that i don’t understand it well - then tell me. The problem i see:

I see, that proposal voting is like voting on laws in parliament.
Anybody can rise a proposal and should create a thread to describe and discusse it at the same time. But any rised proposal should be the final release, which is well discussed already before creating it (like in parliament). Usually initial proposal changes as people propose improvements and the final proposal (similar to a law) is the result of wide consensus.

If the setup is that the proposal is being created for voting and than discussed, it fails very often, because people don’t like the actual setup, however they would support it after some development and improvement. Proposals should be submited for voting in final release, when objections are implemented, the proposal has wide support and it is being expected that it succeeds. Initial proposals are a subject to discussion and improvements. Some suggestions:

1. Create initial proposal + forum topic.
  2. Set the date when voting begins on the proposal page, so people see it, eg. days or weeks in the future.
  3. Proposal should be editable and improvements should be incorporated as discussion proceeds.
  4. If there is final release with wide support, voting starts on the stated date. Either the date can be changed and discussion proceeds. Either prosal without support is canceled.

1. Create proposal discussion topic first
  2. Develop final idea while people offer improvements, edit intial topic on the fly.
  3. When it seems people like the release, lets create proposal ready for voting.

Proposal should be subject to develop, improve and to find wide consensus. It works in common live in this way and it should be followed.

This i miss something about the proposal process here?

2 Likes

Good proposal , let everyone discuss how to

Thank you for taking the initiative on this topic. Here is the link to the Proposal Template:

As you stated to help ‘vette’ some of these proposals before submitting I would like to see some additional guidelines included within a proposal stating the following things took place:

Maybe add to the proposed rationale description:

• “include a few suggestions that were discussed but not considered and the reason why”

Add to the team information section:

1. Link to Discourse and/or discord conversation took place to ping/gauge the community
  2. Link and/or documented date & attendees of an Informal discussion with member interested in collaborating
  3. What supporting evidence/documents were used in the final collaboration efforts to finalize the proposal - if available link, document date and attendees
  4. If a swarm has an internal process for submitting proposals they can override or add to these.

---------------------this is the current template (see link above)---------------------

Proposal Title

Proposal Information

Proposal description:
An accurate and detailed description of what you are proposing

Proposal Rationale
Detailed rationale for why this proposal exists and should matter to HNY holders, the 1Hive community, and/or DAO ecosystem

Expected duration or delivery date (if applicable):
How long do you think it will take to deliver on your proposal

Team Information (For Funding Proposals)

Names, usernames, and/or relevant social links for team members (Twitter, Github, 1Hive Forum, etc.):

Skills and previous experience in related or similar work:
What are some of your skills or related experience that might help inform HNY holders about your ability to execute on your proposal

Funding Information (For Funding Proposals)

Amount of HNY requested:

Ethereum address where funds shall be transferred:

More detailed description of how funds will be handled and used:

4 Likes

This is very true. I don’t even understand how an individual will just suddenly initiate a proposal on the DAO page without first discussing it with the community, i mean is that even possible? i’m thinking they might have discussed it somewhere may be on discord or telegram or somewhere.

I completely agree. I like #2 more, as i’m not sure how difficult it would be to make proposals editable. The problem I have with #1 is that one user might go away for say a week, come back and to see that the proposal they put their HNY in has changed. With option #2 this wouldn’t happen, as the user would only vote for the final version. I agree with @Monstrosity aswell, that proposals could be more fledged out aswell. I sometimes look back trying to find out where discussions have been, e.g when a farm proposal was put up. I definitely think it would be a good idea to fledge it out more! :slight_smile:

I think we could’ve done a better job maybe share analysis perf worked and even attaching the several discord discussions over weeks but here is just a bit of what was done for that farm proposal.

I think making proposals editable by the author would be a good change. But all votes on the existing proposal should be removed on edit. Tbh tho this is really just a UI change that essentially deletes the old proposal and creates a new one in a single action.

Overall I agree that a forum post should probably usually have some discussion before the actual proposal is made. This may not always apply, but probably should especially for newly introduced proposals that the community is not already familiar with.

I think editing proposals once they’re up is going to cause more trouble than it’s worth.

If the votes are removed when the proposal is edited it’s not any better than removing and replacing, except people will think their votes are being suppressed. This will turn into endless circles of explanations.

If they’re not removed when proposals are changed… well.
I don’t think I need to explain the dangers there.
Also, at what degree of editing do we consider it a new proposal anyway?

I don’t understand really the rest of the complaint. It seems like just not understanding how proposals work?

Edited to add I feel like proposals are discussed before they’re actually put on the proposal page, and if they arentvand they don’t get a lot of attention, what’s the harm? If they interfere with other proposals people ask and they usually get removed.

I think the proposal situation works.
Also, there’s no reason why we should try to limit proposals to only those likely to pass, which is what this feels like somehow. I may not be understanding.

To put up a proposal you are supposed to link to the 1Hive Discourse discussion for that proposal. :thinking: Maybe it’s just provide a link to a discussion. Typically they do come back to here. I haven’t read any that go anywhere else.

What I am referring to is the link where the premiering prior to the proposal may have been documented as many of these conversations happen in discord and sometime discourse

I like the idea of having a forum thread prior to the proposal post. This is what I did with topping up the faucet, kind of like a discussion thread to discuss with the community. Discussion that is done on Discord can also be quoted on said thread.