So after spending a short time ( around 4-6 weeks on Discourse and Discord) with the 1Hive community, I realised it is really difficult for anyone new and under skilled to be a meaningful part of the community and figure out how to contribute to this thriving ecosystem. After a recent community call on another protocol, I realised that this issue is common to most DAOs as working in Decentralised teams is a novel approach.
Issue: Newbees come with various skill levels, communication challenges and personalities. I think some newbees genuinely would like to get involved in the workings of the DAO and be able to contribute in a meaningful way but feel lost. In DAO structures such as 1Hive, there is not really a home where newbees can sort of get buddied with and learn specific skills that can be utilised for the DAO.
Proposal: I would like to float the idea of a Training Academy which could be funded with a small budget on a trial basis that could be a catchment for people that are new to a DAO and are trying to find a home and contribute.
How I see this could work:
- Community leaders/ OGs and other active participants of the 1Hive DAO should look into their specific swarms and highlight areas which need resources and the specific skills.
- A list is of these ‘To Do’ items along with skills should be populated and posted in a specific channel for users to claim
- Buddies/Mentors that are willing to support and build skills for newbees could also be tagged with specific ‘To Do’ items
- Training centre could be established to look into developing resources for the various skillsets that are in demand. Pools of volunteers can be trained and utilised in:
- Performing routine tasks that may reduce workloads on current worker bees.
- Testing of alpha/beta functionalities
- Possibly generating income flows by leasing trainee bees to other protocols with their newly acquired skills.
- Finding new resources with various skill sets and being able to increase the productivity of the hive as a whole.
- Making it interesting for newbees to be onboarded and retaining interested and committed bees in the Hive which eventually will add value to the Hive.
- Reducing strain on current worker bees by being able to share the workload.
- Get bees that are committed to feel part of the group, provide opportunities to grow and contribute more as a cycle.
If you are a newbee or an OG or founding member here in 1Hive, I would really like some feedback on this. From the newbees I would like to hear narratives on how they find discord/ forum and if they have been able to contribute in meaningful ways to the community and the path they have taken!
Note: I know we have #morphosis, but I am not sure its organised as a Training Academy specifically to target new worker bees.
- Every Month
- Every 3 Months
- Every 6 Months