1hive Hourly Rates 💰

After a few discussions, and observing the growing number of contributors we have. As well as new Swarms self-organizing for different porpuses. I consider it is time we address the contributor’s hourly rates with a general approach. My hope is this will create a more fair sentiment across the whole organization.

I propose to have a role, development stage, and rate for each contributor. We can decide as a group using signaling proposals on the initial values.

The roles that come to mind are:

1. Content Creator
  2. Designer
  3. Developer
  4. … (add your role here)

Depending on the development stage of the contributor. My proposal is having the following four levels of development:

1. Egg (trainee)
  2. Larva (junior)
  3. Pupa (middle)
  4. Bee (senior)

A contributor will start at a specific stage decided by the project manager of the first Swarm joined. To level up and advance to the next level we can think on different metrics and I invite everyone to the discussion. The low-hanging fruit that comes to mind is the number of hours contributed.

To keep track of this data I create a POC airtable with a few mock data and tables. You can have a look here:

:question:A few questions I have:

• Should we have different rates for every role?
  • How we decide on the number of hours need to level up a development stage?
14 Likes

While I do think that we should have a better system which is more easily trackable to reward contributors, hourly rate system may not work for especially marketing roles as hourly work is not a good indicator of the impact of the work. And hourly rate is not the industry standard in most of these professional jobs, either.
But I also think that we can have a good discussion about for remuneration as to what metrics should be tracked in order to establish a fair method.

10 Likes

like mrt said, there are things that can’t be measured by hourly rates. We definitely need a better system to reward contributors, but idk about the hourly rates

4 Likes

I don’t think a strict hourly rate is the best, just as @mrtdlgc and @Escanor said. You need to look at the roles and the functions they provide. I think the first step is to list all the roles and determine if is best to reward them based on time spent or not.

2 Likes

I agree with hourly rate’s for payments in most cases, at least for developers, since we trust each other here and want to maintain a lean payment process. This way we shouldn’t pay more or less than what some work is worth unless someone is underperforming. If someone is underperforming due to the transparency of the work we do here this would become evident pretty quickly.

However, I don’t think we need to establish roles and payment amounts that are used across 1Hive. Each swarm should be responsible for establishing the amounts paid for different areas of work within their swarm.

3 Likes

I wasn’t suggesting to establish any new roles, just look at the existing ones and decide which ones should get paid by a set time (hour, day, week, etc) or by the task.
And now that I’ve been around a little bit longer, I agree, the swarm should handle their own.

Bounty system (proof of work) works well, again not sure hourly rate is desirable and certainly not trust-less

@KZFlyer My comment wasn’t necessarily in response to yours btw. Mainly the OP.

@Paddington This community isn’t trustless, so hourly rate is fine. Bounties are good for new/inconsistent contributors though.

Nice! This idea reminded me of Ostrom’s 8th principle for successful management of the commons.

I’d love to suggest using Discord’s roles for this - but I think this would be a problem considering there’s several different Discord Servers that the community uses for organization.

Maybe a system could be implemented directly in the honeypot site (using celeste to have community members validate each other’s roles) or this forum as well that assigns development stages depending on the amount of actions taken and number of payments received (kinda like what Colony has for reputation?)

…I obviously wouldn’t know how exactly that could be done but theres no harm in bouncing ideas around I guess… :^)

3 Likes

As guys mentioned before,i don’t think it’s a good measurement either… I see lots of jobs can paid hourly but not in this case…roles just not enough…maybe some other factors?

3 Likes

In my opinion, for people who have spent more time trying, it is better to consider more rewards

3 Likes

It’s more fairly if we consider spent time plus responsibility. More responsibility more benefit.

1 Like

In my opinion, the one with the most effort and the best work is the one that should be rewarded, in particular I am a designer and I believe that time is not what defines the contribution but the skill and quality of what is contributed

I support you at all and share your perspective

That’s absolutely right, and I agree with that✌️

effort is the basis of the channel of success

Hi @pab thanks for sharing those ideas. I strongly agree with you and from the experimentation so far I realize that we will have several ways to rewards contributors.

A clear example that we currently have in place is Pollen, using SourceCreed under the hood. What I like a lot about Pollen is that allow everyone in the community to get a share of the weekly allocation as long as they interact in the community. I think this is great way to onboard new members and get them exited about what we are doing. Regardless of several flaw that the system on the current state may have.

At Gardens we are currently exploring on using a new system that have the potential of becoming something in the lines of Pollen but with more human input from the actual participants of the swarm.

The tool is coordinape: https://coordinape.com
Their documentation: https://docs.coordinape.com

We are coordinating with their team to run a first circle for Gardens before proposing it to the rest of the swarm to start using it as well.

Finally we have the traditional hourly rate that is the main subject of this post and I think we should not be afraid to innovate on that regards as well and try to find a solution that integrates well with the above systems and reward members in a fair way.

I also like your view on having everything as part of the honeypot site. I would like to see the different sources of rewards in the user profile. That will become even more relevant as we realize the vision of Gardens and having several communities interacting in the same website.

5 Likes

Hello dear friend. It was a very interesting and wonderful idea and I liked that I think it would be good to use new people for this idea and be able to encourage them to be active in this community and along with the activities that people do. Certainly, there should be a reward for their more activity and the time they have put in. For the development and expansion of this society, I think this is necessary. Thank you.:v: