Fauna (Moderation) Swarm Proposal

see my update in my op.

ā€œUPDATE - I need to re read op when I have a chance. I am being told the fauna swarm was given a budget and either this is an extension of it or something and if that is the case then that makes more sense. I Stated in my post I didnā€™t fully understand. I got some more info I need to read, I didnā€™t have time now and I didnā€™t want to delete my op.ā€

1 Like

I think youā€™re misunderstanding how we decided on this payout. We wanted to peg to USD, regardless of where the price went, and already had rough consensus on this a few weeks ago. Whether the price of HNY would have gone up or down, doesnā€™t matter. This also means we would receive less HNY if the price had gone up. We figured there would be concern over this considering the payout in HNY is increased this month, however this should be a good thing for your concerns. If you believe (as do we) that the price in HNY will go up long term, youā€™ll only see the funding for fauna decrease in HNY over time.

I like that you are always objective jasper. I am just hearing this for the first time. It was not mentioned in the original document that got the funding started, if it had i would have voiced out.
How can we be preaching HNY is money and yet some core members of the community 100% base their compensation on fiat, rather than the amount of HNY that we have in the ecosytem. Besides, It is wrong to want to increase fauna incentive to match with current price while cutting down on the incentive for the rest of other bees that also contribute but only earn through pollen, via refusing to increase pollen budget but rather decreasing it despite the massive fall in HNY value and increase in pollen participants.

This thread is exactly to discuss the proposal, which is what weā€™re doing. Iā€™m also not voting on the proposal, Iā€™m abstaining. Besides, we are part of the community and so we have the right to discuss it ourselves.

Youā€™ll find that most proposals request a USD value converted to HNY, as with this one. Pollen is different entirely, it doesnā€™t pay out hourly or in USD, it pays out HNY per contribution. I donā€™t think we should conflate the two, although I understand the intuition behind it.

I actually think youā€™ll find that most of the people, me included, that have been active working for pollen will agree with this sentiment. We want to distribute HNY to the community but at the same time have to be mindful of the dollar value. Also let it be known that there was barely any structure in how pollen was managed at the time.

We were aware this would cause discussion within the community because of the current price but still believe pegging to USD is the right way to go about it. How else could proposals currently be valued? We canā€™t just assign an arbitrary value to HNY and call it a day.

4 Likes

Then i hope in the future when HNY reaches 2000$ that the rewarded amount stays 10 000$ or 5 HNY at that time and that nobody suddenly argues that the workload has increased because community has grown and that they believe they should each get 1 HNY minimum no matter the price.
Because this is how i see it going the way things are developing.

I think no-one would have an issue with this. I have been sensitive to the whole public perception of the whole Honey price rise (for the most part due to farming rewards simply being way too high for what 1Hive/Honeyswap got) that would lead to another $HNY price spike and a $HNY price decay.

While most of the HNY in rewards have not been claimed one can look at the numbers and see that at least 1/2 to 2/3 of the dilution that occured to reduce price is related to about 500-700HNY hitting the ledgers.

Yet we still have people in the community pushing big number of HNY to be dropped on the Honeyswap Farms. I think we can to a heck of a lot more with 200-500 HNY in much more creative ways and get way more stuff for our HONEY than incentivizing farms and watching price decay as a result of the direct market inflation (I am not talking about 1Hive inflation). When I consider the value of 30HNY for people doing work vs. 100ā€™s of HNY being proposed for farms that are not making us very much I end up advocating a reducing in market inflation and a better focus on what the community was getting for HNY.

One could ask another question. Is $10K or 1K/month for 10 people manning moderating, helping, providing information (via forums) as well as general participation in the community too much? Could this be better spent in the face of other proposals and work being done? Frankly given the results and the team I think $120K/year for such a team is cheap imo.

Now lets get to other points. The idea of people having to abstain from votes. In this model the people who own the HNY get to decide what the community does. This is the way virtually ALL governance models work except one that I know of and even in that one you still have to have value tokens to pair with work tokens to have ā€˜voteā€™. A good community of people owning tokens is going to listen to everyone who doesnā€™t but in the end we all get to decide. In time this community is going to implement mechanisms to make sure we get what we pay for and to stop anyone from making ā€˜fund meā€™ proposals that are just trying to suck HONEY out of the reserve fund.

I think a better approach to inflation (say in $$ terms vs. in HNY terms) might be worthwhile but then we still end up minting more HNY to pay $$'s for work if the HNY price decays leading to a vicious downward price spiral. I want to not just pay people $$ but also add a HNY investment metric. We pay salaries to people in companies but we also give them ownership with stock that has to ā€˜vestā€™ over time before the person formally receives it. Some of these vesting periods are over a year btw because no-one wants to give an employee stock before they even get off probation.

So if there was anything I want to change regarding paying people money they need to pay bills, is to add an investment component to rewards that they MUST vest and the beauty of vesting is people can still use their HONEY to vote before they can cash it out so we end up with people who have made positive contributions, being paid what they need to live becoming the new investors. There it nothing worse than paying people in stock and them having to sell that stock to pay their monthly bills and/or to buy food.

9 Likes

Fauna Proposal - December 2020

Hey everyone,
while the holiday season is approaching, weā€™re sharing the Fauna proposal for December 2020 with you. This proposal is a continuation from last monthā€™s proposal, with a few changes.

As was mentioned in the previous proposal, we now have two new Fauna members, @FreshPrince nd @solarmkd. They have been added to the Fauna DAO and their tokens have been minted. This now means we have a total of twelve members.

For the current month we are sticking to the same total of 10k USD. We do not believe that the increase of members in the swarm warrants an increase in total value requested, as the workload has been pretty light this month. This means that the total amount, 10k USD worth of HNY, will be divided between the twelve members.

Additionally, all members will be forfeiting 25% of their share to a treasury which will be used to reward community members. How these funds will be used, if the proposal were to pass, is still up for discussion, and we would love to see the communityā€™s input. We will create a thread where the community can discuss this freely at a later date.

As such, the total amount requested is 48.78 HNY. At a price of 205$ per HNY this comes out to be roughly 10k USD.

Each member will receive 48.78/12 * 0.75 = 3.04875 HNY
I imagine weā€™ll probably just round this down to 3 HNY when the time comes. The remainder will be kept in the fauna DAO agent address from where it can be redistributed depending on how the treasury is spent.

In short:

• Proposal still pegged to 10k USD
  • A total of twelve members, ~3 HNY each
  • 25% will be treasured for community rewards/competitions, ~12 HNY total
6 Likes

Can each member of Fauna please share roughly how many hours they have spent on explicitly moderating discussion and content and providing support in the last month using the below poll.

For reference (and to notify) the members are @Rayne @Jasper @befitsandpiper @Harry @Blazar @Escanor @luigy @Eth_Man @crisog @solarmkd @D0SH @FreshPrince

Hours spent moderating in the last month

0 voters

If more than 90 hours please share details below.

4 Likes

I think I moderated more than 90 hours last month. I donā€™t count hours but Iā€™m 24/7 checking discord and forums :smile:, maybe 8 hours or more daily

3 Likes

I donā€™t like the purpose of fauna, everyone is helping supporting stuff. Nothing was moderated for the last month that I saw.

4 Likes

@willjgriff i put down 90 but my hours are around 170sh total for 1hive. Id say more than half that time was spent trying to eliminate FUD that was created by that one user and the rest of the time was spent leading, organizing, and providing feedback to other members that are working on content for 1hive. I just want to make note that you stated hours for explicit moderation but fauna duties as stated at the top are more than just moderating so if its just for moderation i can change my vote.

4 Likes

Yeah i also chose 90 hrs. but I can say I am watching and helping on all the channels daily, including telegram,Reddit and Twitter, really hard to say how much hours I spent helping but itā€™s more than enough :slight_smile:

ļ¼¾Ļ‰ļ¼¾, I said that many times , before in voice calls . But I will say it again , Fauna duties need to change to reflect what they actually do. I suggest to change it into management type of things , since any work that I had to do I contact Fauna members. Also there is many members that help and contribute to 1Hive , and they getting paid using Pollen Swarm , not sure why we pay Fauna again ~~.

2 Likes

Ya we can change duties if the community feels thatā€™s the direction we should take. Iā€™m not exactly sure what you have in mind for fauna but in my perspective the current duties are somewhat management oriented.

sure . I will just leave it with seeds . nothing I can do more here.

I donā€™t know whats wrong with paying fauna. Community itself thought it was important thatā€™s why they funded the fuana proposal (it was not the seeds decision itself). Fauna is like a full time work (not completely but almost), but if you think someone is not active in fauna we can change person donā€™t have to point out the whole group. If the funding is too much we can reduce the funding amount or let community decide whether to keep fauna duties or not.

3 Likes

not sure why would we spent 28k on fauna swarms . but hey who cares.

1 Like

we can reduce the funding and size of the group

2 Likes

good , and maybe layout what they actually do . Are they Moderation or Management ?

maybe to help out about decision making
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Sqk1CUfyWjdszWrawk0DoFqrb4fUe7giS0gI2UE5Wsg/edit#gid=384512066

it has breakdown of payment of fauna swarm.