Migration Swarm Funding

Migration Swarm Funding

Proposal on 1hive.org

Proposal Information

Proposal description:
Research and development of a Honey token and 1Hive governance infrastructure migration from the xDai sidechain to the Arbitrum L2 solution.

See this signalling proposal for more details and some discussion: Honey Migration to Ethereum (signalling/suggestion)

Since the above signalling proposal research and some contract development has been done to understand more explicitly how 1Hive infrastructure will be migrated and setup using an L2 solution. For details on the current plan and some references to the proposed contract implementations see this hackmd.

Proposal Rationale
This is an essential security upgrade and should make 1Hive’s services and infrastructure more appealing and accessible to potential users.

Again see this signalling proposal for more details and some discussion: Honey Migration to Ethereum (signalling/suggestion)

Expected duration or delivery date (if applicable):
1-3 months. The work involved shouldn’t be too extensive but the final deployment and migration time will be dependant on the role out of Arbitrum and our confidence in their initial release.

Team Information (For Funding Proposals)

@willjgriff
@rperez89
@sacha
@fabriv
@gabi

Skills and previous experience in related or similar work:
Engineers working within 1Hive since it’s inception and @sacha who has been advising on Gardens development.

Funding Information (For Funding Proposals)

Amount of HNY requested:
40 HNY ($14000 at $350/Honey)

Ethereum address where funds shall be transferred:
0x4347fba107ffcbaa6f2fd625205c97aef9d31f13 The agent of this DAO/multisig

More detailed description of how funds will be handled and used:
I have personally spent 50 hours ($3250 of time at $65 an hour) researching and writing some initial contracts that will be used for the setup we’ve proposed for the migration to Arbitrum. I would like to take payment for this time from this funding. If there are any objections to this, since it is a retroactive payment, please share them.

Otherwise rates for contributors will vary from $30-$65/hour. The above HNY should see us through to the initial migration. Any funds remaining at this time may be returned to the common pool but may be kept if there is a chance payments will need to be made for maintaining ongoing migration infrastructure. Payments will be made in HNY at the $ value at the time of the hours completed, once every 2 weeks.

11 Likes

I fully support this initiative. Thank you Will for leading the research and initial exploration of the feasibility of doing the migration.

1 Like

I fully support this proposal and initiative to take 1hive to its next level, and thank you @willjgriff for the time dedicated to the research necessary to find the road to the L2 arbitrum!

All those who make up this proposal make a great team @gabi @fabriv @sacha @rperez89 for my part I wish them all the success and the best energies to what is to come in 1hive

1 Like

Added my HNY in support of this.

I really want to see at least a first blush user cost analysis on using Arbitrum to run 1Hive for users.

I think if infrastructure is moved and it costs in ETH $1-2 per 1Hive action on Arbitrum (say for things like celeste, and/or changing HNY support for proposals) this is going to affect governance participation.

Don’t get me wrong here. I think 1Hive needs to move infra to a true L2, but I think before 1Hive completely commits to this at least a base transaction or activity cost analysis is prudent. I am not just talking costs to deploy and modify base contracts, but just basic activity to run infrastructure and people to participate (proposal creation, support changes, celeste, etc.). I have seen this happen with Maker and /r/ethtrader and don’t think people really understand the significant cost differences to use the same smart contracts on different networks.

Example cost was 176200 gas to support this proposal. At 1gwei on xDAI this works out to .000176200 xDAI - nothing right.

Now lets work this with 10gwei using ETH as the gas token.

.00176200 ETH = $3.524 USD.

I was looking for estimates of fees on Arbitrum and only have a quote of 50x reduction in gas costs from the following source: Guide to Arbitrum and setting up Metamask for Arbitrum | by Stakingbits | Stakingbits | Jun, 2021 | Medium

Using this above it means .00003542 ETH or .07USD with main net gas costs at 10gwei for that one support proposal transaction. I have not looked at gas for interactions with celeste or proposal creation. The above USD numbers are taken with ETH costing $2000USD.

Keep in mind if price of ETH rises and main net gas costs are above 10gwei the above prices could change. Also the 50x reported reduction in prices may not be applicable across all types of contract interactions. My understanding here is that if most of the interactions with 1Hive infrastructure are reasonably localized to Arbitrum then the costs are probably low but if these transactions enable a high rollup posting to L1 load then they could be significantly higher. In the end to even get a cost estimate one has to at least try to move the infrastructure in a test mode. The question is whether once this is done and before the move is formally made whether 1Hive will get costs assessments for typical user and developer interactions to manage 1Hive infrastructure on Arbitrum so the community can be informed of the cost implications to them to make this transition.

5 Likes

Great to see this put up for vote. Will support this for sure.

I do however agree with @Eth_Man s concerns as I had raised similar issues here in my initial comments https://forum.1hive.org/t/honey-migration-to-ethereum-signalling-suggestion/4014/6?u=project_uwb

Would be interesting to know what happens to our 1Hive ecosystem on xDAI, I mean we have released the latest farms from Tulip based on Honeyswap LPs and xCOMB emissions for the next 2 years. What about our farms on Polygon and pCOMB. Just asking the question as what our plan would be for these instances of 1Hive on xDAI and Polygon and how these will interact with the Arbitrum instance.

In addition I think the community would be interested in an estimate of cost to move to Arbitrum from xDAI or Polygon their native tokens such as HNY, AGAVE and DAI. I mean for some of the participants that may be very small fish (< 5 tokens of HNY or AGAVE). I would really like to see that the move does not disproportionately dis-incentivise the smol fish.

great to see this one going through, I am looking forward to 1Hive’s expansion on Arbitrum.

I’d also like to see some initial estimations. Once we’ve deployed and executed some stuff on the testnet we’ll likely get a better idea. However, personally I’m fine with just going for it irrespective of accurate estimations, it could require a lot of work and xDai is too insecure (4 out of 7 bridge validators required to capture the network) that I think whatever the cost is considering the size of our community it’s worth it. And it’s definitely going to cost significantly less than mainnet because otherwise what’s the point.

This is dependant on the function arguments, the more arguments passed the more expensive it is to post to L1, I don’t think this is something we have to worry about.

All of our infrastructure will remain on xDai, including that associated with Gardens/Governance and Honeyswap and be accessible for anyone to use. However, Celeste will become less secure as Honey is removed and migrated to Celeste on Arbitrum. Therefore users interested in creating Gardens will likely want to do so on Arbitrum instead of xDai. We’ll also deploy a new instance of Honeyswap on Arbitrum with it’s own COMB token.

I don’t know if Agave is intending on migrating their token to Ethereum, DAI will incur the same cost as it always has for bridging from Ethereum to xDai and back, and migrating HNY will require a transaction on xDai and one on Ethereum (likely 2 on Ethereum to also bridge to Arbitrum).

Most users on xDai should understand the risks/costs involved with bridging to sidechain networks and I consider it a necessary requirement to move to secure infrastructure at this stage.

4 Likes