Thoughts about how much compensation to ask for

This is not a proposal/request but just a thread about how much compensation should be given.

It seems to be a frequent matter than when someone puts up a proposal asking for compensation for a task, there is a bit of back and forth haggling about how much the task is worth. I know I am guilty of it too - someone posts a task, I say oh no that’s far too much, it gets reduced and then I would be happy to support it.

How about letting the community decide what it’s worth prior to creating the 1hive prop for people to vote on. This would be done by adding a poll with compensation values that people can vote on. Then it gives an idea of what the community thinks the task is worth, and the 1hive propsal can be created accordingly. A recent example is the compensation for emoji’s being created - 1.3 honey requested, someone posts saying oh no it’s worth 0.1 (Compensation for Discord emojis)

In this instance, the author could add a poll with different options of what the task is worth such as:
0.3 HNY
0.65 HNY (based on 0.05 HNY per emoji)
1.3 HNY (based on 0.1 HNY per emoji)
3 HNY
5 HNY

the community then votes on what they think it’s worth, and that indicate what value the proposal should be created with.

Thoughts?

7 Likes

Yes, I totally agree with this.
People should present their ideas to the community first and receive some feedback.

It will also help to have a list of tasks/projects in progress and their prices.
Whit this list, people would have some pricing guidelines and a list of priorities.

Community members could add suggestions to the list and people could choose what to work on.

Undecisive about this as for the following cases/examples:

• Proposal prior to work
    Pro: Communal opinion on how much the work’s estimated value should be.
    Con: Proposal gets created and accepted, opens potential to work never being deliverd by OP.
    Con: No indication of what the quality of work is going to be.

• Proposal after work already delivered (I’ve done this rn because I’m new to this system)
    Pros: Work has been done.
    Cons: No agreed opinion on OP’s expected payout/OP won’t get paid ‘at all’ < only in pollen distribution.
    Cons: OP could expect too high amount of compensation

So since I’m kind of new to this all, is the following flow possible?:

1. Proposal: Project + x amount HNY
  2. Community vote on best amount of HNY
  3. Proposal gets made + funded
  4. Payout on hold until work is delivered.
  5. Deliver work > Payout of accepted proposal amount HNY.

Only con this leaves I think, is the quality of work (especially in design, writing, etc.) could be lower or higher than expected.

4 Likes

@cryptoclip Love this idea! I will be implementing it within my next post :slight_smile:

1 Like

It would be better to have a slider-bar from the minimum to the maximum requested amount, so the average response would get selected (as in IG stories or the HNY support gadget on Honey Pot). I don’t know if that can be done in discourse…just a thought

2 Likes

I think this is a good idea. As @viken said perhaps it’s good to have an optional slider function, which ranges from one amount to another. This way an average can be taken. This could be dangerous though if someone puts a very high slider amount just to skew the average. Hence I think the median could be a better approach. Either that, or have the poll + slider function (in case people do not agree with the poll options at all)