Compensation for Discord emojis

Compensation for Discord emojis

Proposal Information

Proposal description:
Over the past two weeks 13 custom Discord emojis have been made by me for permanent future use by 1Hive, in this proposal I am requesting compensation in addition to last week’s pollen earnings.

Proposal Rationale
The value of emojis in 1Hive’s Discord is worth more than other general Discord emoji use, due to them complimenting the pollen-system. Especially since the potential exists for 1hive to grow big enough that thousands of people could use these emojis daily (as of writing this proposal there are currently 4472 Discord members).

• In the timespan of two weeks I probably spent around 15-20 hours on them, making concepts as well, not all of them were implemented. (Work consisted of: rendering, recoloring, scalibility control for Discord reaction).
    To get a better grasp of the price I’m asking, I’ll translate it to an hourly rate, HNY price / hours worked:
    Price of 1 HNY right now: ± $475 x1.3 = $620
    — 620/15 = $41 p/h
    — 620/20 = $31 p/h

Skills and previous experience in related or similar work:

• Graphic Design school
  • Amateur experience on graphic design forums (2010-2015)
  • Paid hobby-ist; concept logo designs (around 2015)

Funding Information

• New emojis and future use/value = 1.3 HNY (this comes down to 0.1 HNY per emoji)

Ethereum address where funds shall be transferred:
0xc51fe8979BAF342Ff81cdeb3fD2F13D20de31091

Current emojis:

EDIT: Added poll

Reasonable amount for Discord emojis
  • 0.50 HNY
  • 0.65 HNY
  • 1.00 HNY
  • 1.30 HNY

0 voters

Link to proposal here

10 Likes

So we’re allowed to just find memes on /biz and paste them into Discord and request 1.3 HNY ($1,500 last week) and if enough of our friends upvote it we’ll receive that money?

Do you have proof you made those graphics as originals? Why are you getting paid 0.1 HNY (currently $50) for copy and pasting the Office Space meme as a Discord emoji?

This feels broken. I hope it doesn’t pass. A worthy compensation for this effort is maybe 0.01 HNY.

2 Likes

So we’re allowed to just find memes on /biz and paste them into Discord and request 1.3 HNY ($1,500 last week)

• Not necessarily, but more power to you if you want to try. Not sure what /biz is. If the community thinks the proposal makes sense, then it will likely be approved.

and if enough of our friends upvote it we’ll receive that money?

• I hope not and don’t think that’s the case

Do you have proof you made those graphics as originals? Why are you getting paid 0.1 HNY (currently $50) for copy and pasting the Office Space meme as a Discord emoji?

• Obviously for example I didn’t make the pepe as orginal as we all know it was popularized by Twitch, however, I did customize all the emojis in such a way to make them relatable for 1Hive.
    Some of these were also requested by the 1Hive community and then implemented.
    Sidenote: I didn’t see anyone else take this initiative or start working on them after I did
    I’m not sure if I have any or all the .psd files, but you can reverse image search them and see if they exist anywhere else - I’ll save you the trouble: they don’t

This feels broken. I hope it doesn’t pass. A worthy compensation for this effort is maybe 0.01 HNY.

• You’re allowed to feel this way and just ignore it, OR you could suggest how much you feel this deserves, as you said just now 0.01 - However if more people think I should lower the amount, then I’ll do that.

If others feel the same way like you about reducing the amount then I’ll start a poll or adjust the amounts as suggested.

Hi @FreshPrince don’t get me wrong, I appreciate your work on the emojis.
But I think that we need to be cautious about this trend of people creating something first then coming here to ask for HNY.
What if every video creator in the community comes here and ask 1 HNY for their time?

I think that people have been already pretty generous with reacts for your work:

Example 1 Example 2 Example 3

1 Like

I think jts great that he created something first and THEN asked for honey, and on that basis I am happy to support the proposal once an accepted amount has been decided by the community. I will happily support a proposal for 0.5 honey (once the one I am currently supporting passes). I strongly believe people should do the work first then seek compensation!

2 Likes

Not here to discuss the proposal, I just want to clarify that the three examples you’ve given amount to 22 cred or less. I don’t believe that is generous compensation at all. You can check this yourself on the live page. (It might even be worth less due to asymptotic minting, I don’t believe that’s in the live page version yet)

2 Likes

Hey, thanks for the feedback. I understand where you’re coming from, but this is my view on the matter:

1. I’m more inclined to believe that doing the work first and then asking for any further compensation makes more sense than asking compensation beforehand whilst leaving the possibility to not do the work at all and ‘running away’ with the earnings.
    A balance of these could be: starting a proposal beforehand, doing the work and then receiving said proposal amount, not sure if this is feasible though.

2. It might look like a lot of reacts, but most of these are same users, giving multiple reacts. Since the asymptotic minting has been applied, the actual cred doesn’t amount to that much actually.

2 Likes

Thanks! I do believe if I would go lower, then 0.65 HNY (per example from your thread) would be more reasonable than 0.5 (0.05 HNY per emoji).
Will add a poll later if this thread gets more traction.

1 Like

I literally designed the subreddit and spent totals of days working on things for HNY over the past week and I only received about 40 source cred. So for someone to receive 22 cred for copy and pasting memes that other people created or that he found on Google and ask for compensation is just outrageous.

0.5 is way too much. I think this deserves $5 max (0.01 HNY). If this community is just going to turn into a money grab where friends support friends and you get hundreds-thousands of dollars worth of an asset just for doing tasks that can be done in short periods of time in MS Paint, then you’re going to run into serious issues as more users (and gamers) enter the Honey ecosystem.

Set precedents and standards or face serious consequences when real manipulators enter.

Well you could make a proposal yourself requesting more HNY if you feel like what you received wasn’t enough instead of ‘bashing’ others.
Also the proposal hasn’t even been accepted yet, so not sure why you’re making such a fuzz about the amount when it can still be adjusted.

1.3 HNY might be too much, however I’m not going to ‘undervalue’ my work, by comparing this to the worth of standard custom Discord emojis which run from $10 to $25 per emoji.
It’s complimenting a system that is being used by a big community, with the potential of growing even bigger.
Which also brings up the point of the volatility of the coin, the price could go up and down (which almost goes hand in hand with the usage/value of the emojis).
That’s why I came up with some calculations according to the amount of emojis + hourly rate to get more of a ‘realistic’ grasp of them.

Initially I wanted to add to my proposal that I’m also requesting this ‘high’ amount because I’ll keep making emojis and it would be somewhat of a motivational boost to see a pre-payment, but it doesn’t make too much sense since there is no evidence/way to proof that I will keep working on them.

You know exactly what you’re doing by asking for that much HNY.

This is worth $5 USD max. especially after the amount you received from cred for it already.

First of all thank you for creating this emojis and contributing to this community in some way.
I am wanna say that 1 hny or 0.5 is too much.Just go on google and search on upwork or freelancer you can find a lot of cheaper designers there.
What when hny goes to 2/3k and you have 0.5 or 1 hny for creating emojis.
Don’t get offended but I think that’s too much.

1 Like

I sure do, you can read above a list of reasons why I think so.
Anyways, I’ll add a poll in hopes to speed up the process.

I saw those Pepe-based HNY memes on social media platforms like 4 weeks ago. Can you provide proof with the PSD file that you were the original creator of these pepe-based HNY memes?

Even if you can, those couldn’t have taken more than 5-10 minutes to create and certainly are not worth payment of $250.

It doesn’t help the case, but I guess I didn’t save the .psd’s the only .psd I have is for the policepepe emoji. But since I guess I didn’t think of saving the any of the .psd files since it wasn’t ‘serious’ work when I started. Either way, go ahead and try to find the exact same emojis - you won’t. Seeing an end ‘design’ is easy, but coming up with them isn’t. I tried to mess around with a few more ‘serious’ one that didn’t make it and the meme ones did.

The same could be said for your Reddit background which is a cyan colord background with the HNY logo patterned over it with a different overlay type. Sounds easy, but you have to come up with it, mess around with options/scalability etc. < I’m not bashing your work here, I actually like the background, but I understand it’s not as easy as 1, 2, 3.

Poll is up by the way, you can choose to ignore it or vote :slightly_smiling_face:

Of course this guy didn’t list any options under 0.5 HNY.

If we let this pass it will be a serious failure to prevent manipulation of conviction voting and I will be very disappointed in the community. He can’t even provide proof of this “hard work” he’s asking $250 for and called it not “serious”.

If it wasn’t “serious” enough to save then it’s not “serious” enough to be rewarded with $250 worth of an asset (an equivalent amount of which was worth over $500 last week).

1 Like

First I want to say I’ve really enjoyed having these custom discord emojis on the server, the pepe holding the honey pot especially, I use it all the time.

I also want to say that creative work is difficult to value, mechanically these emojis are derived from other work, some of them are essentially just cut outs and reformatting to fit the meme format.

I think that one of the challenges here is that there will be pretty drastic differences in the perception of value created by this work, it’s important to keep in mind that even if you personally don’t see the value its possible that others have a different and perfectly legitimate perspective. This is one of the main benefits of conviction voting versus a majority rule type system, its possible for a subset of the group to find something valuable, while the majority disagrees, and that subset should still be able to pass a proposal to allocate resources based on their perception of value. That’s true decentralization. It may seem alarming, if a proposal is broadly unpopular but still passes, but perhaps its helpful to think of individual participants that hold honey as having an “allowance” that they are entitled to allocate to the things they find most valuable.

Obviously if we see proposals being made in bad faith, we need a way to dispute them and prevent them from passing (this is where celeste fits in, and Im planning on writing a longer post on that soon), but a good faith proposal that is a bit too “generous” is not something that we need to outright block, as the budgeting constraints associated with the mechanism will force participants over time to be more careful with how they allocate resources. As long as we are all aligned around creating shared value together, we can disagree on the specific details about how best to do it or how much to allocate where.

That said the other issue with this proposal is one of culture.

Even though I like the emojis, and I’m confident that eventually through negotiation we might find a reasonable amount to compensate the work, the ask for retroactive compensation in this way makes things complicated.

We want to encourage a culture where people enjoy and feel good contributing, to allow people to take initiative and add value where they think they are best suited to in an organic way. This has been happening all over the place, from people picking up and running social media accounts, creating content and guides, translating articles, and even (I assumed) creating custom emojis for the discord.

These activities are awesome, and positive sum, they create good energy and that energy flows through all sorts of things.

The pollen initiative is especially well suited to encourage this type of behavior, though it is still a very rough tool and doesn’t really work well enough to capture things perfectly especially if people are actively trying to abuse the mechanism to maximize their rewards
 but it does allow people to be rewarded for these organic contributions in a way that doesn’t require pre-negotiation, proposal friction, or a hyper transactional culture where we need to put a dollar value on every positive interaction.

As we have grown, we have seen the pollen program struggle and even become a bit toxic, the future of pollen still looks really bright, but we likely need to scale it back until the mechanism can be made more robust.

That said, these contributions have atleast partially been compensated with pollen, and not just on a one-off basis, pollen distributions have been happening weekly and so a single payout may not feel adequate, its possible that over multiple distributions you may feel the compensation is fair

On top of that, I know myself and atleast one other user sent you some honey using the tip bot because we loved the emojis as a sign of gratitude (not as a payment), this was in the context of a community member doing something I thought was awesome, not someone who was already being paid to work on a specific project with a specific scope

Anyways, sorry for the stream of conscious style rambling, but to wrap up a bit
 I won’t be supporting this proposal not because of the amount or the quality of the work, but because I don’t really like the dynamic that it represents.

I don’t want to go as far as to say that any “retro active” compensation proposal should be avoided, or even to say that others shouldn’t support this proposal
 but I would express that I think it would be healthier in the the future if the expectations for people are set up front.

If you want to work on a project but want to ensure you get some specific compensated for it, I suggest making a proposal and define the scope and expectations up front
 If you want to do something either way, do it, people will notice and you may get rewarded for it through pollen or tips or simply through the accumulation of social capital
 in the future we might have a more sophisticated milestone/escrow workflow for proposals, but in the short term if there is a need for additional accountability, perhaps working with a swarm, and having the swarm serve as a escrow custodian would be a good way to go. This way everyone can be aligned, and not feel bad about not funding a proposal retroactively, even though the original terms for compensation were completely unclear.

5 Likes

I just want to say I have no issues with Fresh at all, we are cool, were always cool. I see a lot of potential for 1Hive and have been trying to contribute in the ways I can. I saw a problem and I was vocal about it, but I certainly could have been more constructive and less demeaning about the effort put in to contribute something fun for and highly used by the community.

It is of the utmost importance that we are critical of precedents we set. I felt frustrated that there was a small amount of community support for something I felt strongly about. I should have taken a more polite and less combative role and for that I apologize and will work on improving the way I get my point across on this forum.

Having said that, I would happily support this proposal if it were for an appropriately smaller amount.

1 Like

This sucks. Like all of it. A real turn off for new people wanting in. To contribute and request a compensation feels like a real challenge here.

1 Like

Maybe i should be asking for 1 HNY per video? Or maybe how about 10hny? One of my videos has 1.7k views that shows how to keep your money into Honeyswap. Therefore dont you think if i can influence over 5K people(total in the 30 days on 1hive videos) i should be compensated as these people are using my guides to bring in money? This goes the same as @FreshPrince designs. I asked him to make some emojis to better the server and his first response was for sure. He was able to create a fun environment which has kept most of us around as some days the only way we can make through the day is with a few pepes. So i back freshprince with 1HNY for the following reasons. Community Morale Building, Leadership Qualities, Team Player and Innovation through graphic illustration.

4 Likes