Aligning on 1Hive direction, Organisational Apps take priority

This is what I see as the biggest challenge we face. The economics of HNY aren’t as important as cleaning up information streams and making it clear what we offer, what our apps are, where our funds are allocated and what is happening around the DAO. This needs to be clear and simple for someone who has just found 1hive, but right now it is clear that it is difficult for even the veterans to have a grasp on everything going on.

Let’s not chuck the baby out with the bathwater, but definitely organising better should definitely be a priority going forward.

Finally, I wanted to state my opinion that our DAO took a big hit in terms of interest and interaction when XDAI stagnated. This more than anything else saw our growth stop. Now that Gnosis have merged and rebranded I am hopeful we can see growth on the chain start again and more demand come across for the whole ecosystem.

2 Likes

You have a full team of strong in Solidity defi developers?
Who?

My entire issue with Tulip swarm was that process, transparency, and community involvement were all lacking. It was clearly a misunderstanding, but I see recent Tulip proposals attempting to pick up with exactly what blew that swarm up. Hopefully the call tomorrow will clear up some missing communication.

The capability of which is unproven and considering previous attempts and the diminishing value of Honey at this stage it’s too risky.

Which is great but right now what matters is what will create a demand for the Honey token.

We’re not dictating what can and can’t be added, the arguments for Tulip have been laid out but they’re not convincing enough.

for anyone interested in the call you can download it here Craig Records!

5 Likes

I’d like to add, regarding branding, that there is a misconception in the space that the Tulip swarm was a rugpull operation. I’ve been dm’ed on Twitter about it, and we see some chatter on Telegram as well.

I don’t know if this means we should use the name Tulip and make things right or eschew the name.
My strong opinion is now that the things are built and just need modifying and maintaining, if that, that a swarm is no longer needed.
Additionally, in my opinion it was a huge overreach for Tulip to attempt to take control of Honeyswap, including access to all of Honeyswap’s resources.

As @lkngtn suggested for how we can reach a high level direction for 1Hive, I’m proposing a fork of Will’s post. Quoted sections below are taken directly from the original.

Here’s the proposal in the Honey Pot.

To summarize the changes:

• Short term and long term goals are separated
  • Added priority of building a better compensation plan
  • Removed direct mention of Tulip, but kept the spirit of the mention

Aligning on 1Hive direction

Pre-requisite reading: Aligning on narrative and high level direction

Suggestion in 1Hive Garden: Proposal #72

It’s been a while since Luke made the above call to the community to try and establish a shared vision for 1Hive going forward. There wasn’t a great deal of response to his call and since then the value of Honey has continued to diminish and contributors have continued to leave or become inactive. Considering this and the increasing fragmentation of 1Hive into many unrelated projects and self-governed swarms, some change is necessary if 1Hive is not only interested in surviving but also thriving.

In the Short Term

We have an Issuance process that constantly pumps out Honey but that doesn’t mean we have an infinite amount of money. Unfortunately we don’t have the resources (money or man power) right now to support projects that aren’t explicitly creating a demand for Honey. Of course the Honey distribution created through the support of unrelated projects in the past is largely what has made this community what it is, and one day soon it would be great to return to that, but not until 1Hive is in a sustainable financial position.

Building a better compensation plan

The price of HNY has been hurt by our current funding system where core contributors are paid in HNY, which they then need to sell to pay their bills. Our most pressing need at 1Hive is a compensation system that does the following:

• Brings in and retains core contributors to 1Hive
  • Supports the long term price of HNY
  • Distributes governance influence to those creating the most value for 1Hive.

A sustainable compensation plan for 1Hive includes a combination of Bounties, Basic Income for core contributors paid in stablecoins, and retroactive vesting HNY. A key component of this strategy is growing a stablecoin treasury so that contributors can pay for life expenses without selling HNY. Relevant forum post.

Temporarily abstaining funding for proposals that aren’t key to our long term goals.

Until we have a better compensation plan that supports the price of HNY, we abstain from proposals that aren’t critical to our long term vision (laid out below), or have a clear track record of creating value for 1Hive.

Increasing proposal difficulty

We raise the minimum threshold for passing proposals in the 1Hive Garden. This will have the effect of reducing fragmentation in the community and encouraging a more explicit focus on the smaller set of applications discussed below. Proposals will also increase in quality and require more consensus. This will also reduce governance overhead by the wider community as more decisions will be delegated to swarms. Specific values will be discussed in a separate post.

Relevant forum post.

In the Long Term

Refocusing on organisational apps

From the beginning 1Hive was always about building and experimenting with inclusive organisational infrastructure. The core of this infrastructure is now represented as Gardens and Celeste. These are the necessary components for continuing this grand experiment. Without them 1Hive has very little future. There are many swarms within 1Hive that support these applications and there are many that, although promising and useful in their own ways, do not.

Considering the limited resources we currently have available I think it’s paramount that as a community we refocus our attention on these core applications until we’re in a more sustainable position. A sustainable position is one where Honey is a desirable asset and the best chance we have at making that the case is by popularising whatever requires Honey to use. Celeste requires dispute creators to pay for those disputes in Honey and users of Gardens (which cost Honey to deploy) are incentivised to stake to Celeste to potentially have a say in disputes that arrise. Ultimately Celeste is the most likely to create the biggest demand for Honey, since users of any applications that rely on it are incentivised to want to be involved in potential disputes which requires they stake Honey to it.

Current efforts to make Celeste more widely used include Gardens (including a Garden involving Maroon5’s NFT’s), Quests, and a developing collaboration with Gitcoin. We have also explored integrating with Gnosis Omen and building a function naming registry in the past. Beyond this it has been suggested we liase with other DAO’s or crowdsale platforms to see how we can integrate Celeste into their processes. If we can establish applications that rely on Celeste and are used regularly we will create a sustainable demand for Honey.

Gardens and Celeste have a unique advantage relative to our competitors and if we put in the effort there is a chance we can maintain this advantage and have our platform become a significantly more popular approach to building and maintaining organisations.

Conclusion

Our dream is to make 1Hive a sustainable and thriving ecosystem that provides people with the tools necessary to enable them to provide the value they have to the world in a sustainable way. In building 1Hive we have experimented with being an open and inclusive community that encourages projects from all different domains to build with us. Now it is time to prioritise projects that are explicitly focussed on creating a sustainable demand for Honey, at least until Honey is clearly in demand and the contributor base is reestablished. In other words, this is a call to all 1Hive contributors to focus on projects that will explicitly generate a return in the short to medium term.

4 Likes

Hello,

Could you please explain me that how can i report security bugs on 1hive platform.

I hope you will reply to me as soon as possible.

Best regards,
Security Analyst

I suggest you can write to @rperez89, @gabi, or me in discord. Here there is a more detailed explanation on how can you report a security bug: Bug Bounty - 1Hive.

1 Like