Funding Morphosis

Funding For 1Hive Morphosis DAO

Proposal Information

Proposal description:
This proposal is to set up funding for the 1Hive morphosis DAO. Although this funding is primarily necessitated due to the need to kick-start the 1Hive school/workshop idea proposed Here, it is meant to be the morphosis DAO purse for any future similar morphosis related project that might require funding to function(if and when they do come up in the future). This proposal is requesting 32 HNY out of the 6,957.24 HNY in the common pool.

Proposal Rationale
Morphosis is often overlooked, but in reality it is one of the most valuable part of the 1Hive ecosystem because it exists purely to create and impact value.
A Community like ours which is structured around value creation is a powerful uniting force that can only get bigger and stronger since people will naturally gravitate towards wherever they can derive value. This is essentially what the 1Hive DAO is about.
Establishing a Morphosis DAO and funding it is necessary. Not only will it serve as an umbrella under which any future morphosis related project can fall under and given direction, eliminating the need for a separate organizational structure each time another morphosis related project props up. But it will also breath life to morphosis such as we have with fauna, buzz, pollen and the others, which can kick-start creativity from bees in that regard. These projects will all get their funding (if need be) and be guided by the morphorsis DAO with the permission of the 1Hive community.
The initial 32HNY requested is for the purpose of the 1Hive school/workshop(if we can call it that). The figure was arrived at having assumed a budget of $2,000 per week(currently ~4HNY) as tutor fees for a couple of courses, with the aim of sustaining the program for about 8 weeks.

Expected duration or delivery date (if applicable):
N/a

Team Information (For Funding Proposals)

** Rayne, Sandpiper, IEscanore, Bjerg, Solarmkd **

Skills and previous experience in related or similar work: They are reputable community members and can be trusted to administer the funds.

Funding Information (For Funding Proposals)

Amount of HNY requested: 32 HNY

Ethereum address where funds shall be transferred: N/a

More detailed description of how funds will be handled and used:
The fund will be used strictly for activities relating to morphosis only. The fund will be held in a multi sig account controlled by the team members mentioned above. Non of the members will be eligible for tutoring, but can be students. It is at the discretion of the morphosis DAO members to determine suitable payment for tutors and withdraw funds from the purse for payment or any other morphosis related expenses.

5 Likes

This proposal is not live yet. It is open to inputs and discussion from the community before it is finally launched.

I dig it, I think it’s a good proposal. We should start up the Aragon DAO for morphosis and get some MORPH voting tokens minted.

I’m not sure why I am listed on the team, I don’t recall saying anywhere that I would want to be - what does being in the team entail? :sweat_smile:

As i said, this is a draft. It doesn’t mean you or anybody listed up there will be on the team, this is one of the reason its up for discussion. The term “team” was not coined by me, It is the laid out format for creating proposals. With regards to this proposal it means the signatories to the morphosis purse.
I think maybe i mistook you for one of the seeds that expressed support for this some weeks ago, i just thought the team will be better if a seed was among the signatories although its not really necessary. we’'ll figure it out before the proposal goes live thou.

1 Like

I think it a great start. The first training should help establish the best format for future ones.

I think it goes without saying that the enthusiasm to be a part of the community, to get involved, to organize, and to create teams to execute tasks is fantastic.

However, as a community we need to make a serious effort to keep proposals requesting funding for groups like this in check. Why does this group need to be funded relative to other unfunded groups within 1Hive? Just because gardens requested funding support doesn’t mean that every group within 1Hive that forms needs financial incentives to function, especially when the proposal doesn’t lay out a very clear plan for how that compensation would be distributed (or why it is even warranted).

I am not only not in support, but firmly against this proposal, unless I see some seed members express interest in regulating and/or being a part of it. In general this proposal is way too ill-defined for the community to be comfortable with allocating 32 HNY (almost $15,000 at the time of this post) from the common pool to a community member’s personal wallet when there is no clear plan for how said user intends to allocate/spend that money.

Again, this could end up being an important proposal and effort. I just feel that it needs to be more well-thought-out and should include specific seed members (or other vetted members) who are vocally onboard with the project. Seems some people you listed didn’t even know about their participation or the proposal at all.

I urge everyone who is currently supporting or thinking of supporting this proposal to truly consider where this huge amount of HNY is going and whether it is clear how it will be used. I don’t suggest malicious intent, at all. @Kryptobi is a recognizable name and a kind person so I have zero doubt he intends to do well for 1Hive and that the HNY would go to good use. I just feel the proposal in its current form is not ready to be supported.

4 Likes

I get where you are coming from @pressure. I have felt that way myself about some proposals, but unlike you thou before i strongly voice my opposition, i carefully read through the proposal and try to understand what led to it.

Perhaps you were triggered by the title and impulsively you just skimmed through the rest of the proposal. In the future it would be wise thou to really understand what you are so vehemently opposed against, before coming out all guns blazing, lolz. Love your spirit man.

I think the problem here is lack of understanding especially since you may not be aware and have never participated in discussions both here and on discord that have been going on for quite a while now which played a part in bringing about this draft.

First of all, it would be great if you could read this Setting up a skills acquisition school/workshop it’ll be nice to hear whatever you have to say.

Now regarding your concerns

The reason was stated pretty much in the first paragraph of this draft, and the proposal rationale expanded a little bit more on it.

This has absolutely nothing to do with whatever the garden swarm is doing. I don’t pay much attention to what the garden swarm does. Discussions that led to this draft originated HERE way back even before the garden swarm probably thought of requesting funding.

Again i suggest you carefully read and understand this draft. This is just seeking to establish and fund the Morphosis DAO and not how to distribute anything. its up to the DAO to decide how to pay the tutors(at least thats what i proposed). Anyway, this is why its a draft, it is open to discussion. Nothing is set in stone yet and there is no active funding proposal yet.

This actually cracked me up a little. Again please carefully read this draft proposal. Please nobody is asking for funds to be sent to a community member’s personal wallet :sweat_smile:. I should also remind you that whatever funds sent to the DAO is not permanent. It can just as well be sent back to the common pool if need be.

Again this is a draft proposal. The reason its here is so it can be discussed before formally activating a funding proposal. Motivation to put this draft up stemmed from a number of bees that have shown support, we are priviledged to have knowledgeable members among us here in the Hive that have already expressed interest to impact there knowledge on the community. You might not be aware as you have never been a part of the discussions in the morphosis channel. If you feel so strongly against this you are welcome to go on there and lend your voice. I did not and can not do this alone.

Maybe its just me but i don’t really feel that seed members must be onboard everything that goes on in the Hive, sure there are somethings that makes sense that they are onboard but for the school/workshop i don’t think thats really necessary.

There was only one person( and not people) bjerg, that expressed surprise that i proposed he become part of the DAO, and i believe i’ve already cleared that up in my response to him.

Finally i should make it clear that this proposal is to establish and fund a Morphosis DAO. part of the reason is so that future morphosis related programmes that bees come up with can be better guided and given direction and IF NEED BE bootstrap it as long as it is beneficial to the Hive, rather than having to set up an organizational structure each time there is a brilliant idea that falls under morphosis, with all of them doing there own individual thing. The workshop/scholl was just the first. I’m looking forward to many brilliant ideas in the future as we continue to grow.

4 Likes

The funds will be sent to a multisig address controlled by the morphosis DAO, not a single member of 1hive. likely this multisig will be controlled by at least me, @Kryptobi, @Santigs, and @davidphoenix2020 , although as more people become involved the number of voting members will increase.

1 Like

The morphosis DAO has been created here: https://aragon.1hive.org/#/morphosis/0xc528450f58c54cb439cb6dae5f7a6c43c85b8f1f/

Current voting members are me, @Kryptobi, @Santigs, @davidphoenix2020, and @solarmkd who have all expressed interest in teaching for this project, help build a platform, and/or create content for course curriculum. Kryptobi did a good job of summarizing the goals of the project in the first post of this topic, there is additional information in the conversations from the morphosis channel on discord. Also I disagree that members of the swarm will be ineligible for teaching. This would create a different dynamic than the way swarms at 1hive typically work now. The morphosis swarm can be thought of almost like a teacher’s union, or a cooperative of people building an education platform.

If we take the original budget mentioned of $2,000 a week for approximately 8 weeks of the program adjusted for a $300 price of HNY we get closer to a 53 HNY budget. This should be enough to fund at least 2-3 courses plus associated content and support work during the period at a base rate of $30 / hr for instruction, platform building, and content creation.

There are a number of potential courses that can be taught in the near future. Santigs has a curriculum ready for a data analysis course which will likely be the first to start. Solarmkd can teach video and sound editing, davidking will be able to teach a course on design prototyping and development, and I should be able to create a curriculum and teach a few web development courses.

It is possible we will not use all these funds within 8 weeks, bc we will be pegging pay to usd, and bc there is more planning and ideation needed to get the project off the ground. In the event we do not use all of the funds we will roll over any remaining to another period.

While the initial plan is for the DAO to subsidize the morphosis school, there a number of ways this can become a revenue generating project. Charging students tuition is one way, although we want to make sure the cost is low enough to be competitive and provide a high value for the student. We can also potentially partner with other DAOs and organizations, asking for funding to train people in skills that will allow then to do paid work for those organizations.

There are also potential wage sharing plans that can be done, either within 1hive itself, making contracts with other organizations, or through dependencies if the student is working within the SourceCred ecosystem. These are just a few ideas, but the plan is to make a school that can teach a wide variety of useful skillsets in the highly efficient flipped classroom bootcamp model, and take advantage of some of the best properties that decentralized organizations have to offer. I believe this can be done in a revenue positive way, and expose the 1hive DAO to a new audience of people.

A link to the proposal is here: https://1hive.org/#/proposal/74

Feel free to comment here or discuss the proposal. We’d lot to hear feedback :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hey looks great!

My only concern here would be having some kind of measurable milestone that has funds released once they are completed. For example, funding 5 HNY initially for the first training session, then once that’s completed another 5 or 10 can be released for the next iteration of content. Not sure if this is something celeste will help with, but just some thoughts.

I think we would not be releasing pay until after the course is completed. We also may want to withhold some portion of pay based on student reviews of the course. I am also okay with adding additional people who are not directly involved in the paid aspects of the project to be voting members of the morphosis swarm.

those are all great points. I would be happy to see a few more members get involved in the dao - at least just for voting purposes initially. This would alleviate any of my concerns :slight_smile:

1 Like

Maybe this payment release can be based on the results of an evaluation for the class. This can help measure the course efficiency and how it can be improved for the following classes in addition to student reviews.

1 Like

how would the evaluation work outside of student reviews?

Sorry if this was mentioned and I didn’t see it. It would be awesome to market the “1hive education NFTs” you get it upon the completion of a some course work.

2 Likes

Firstly a note on proposals:

I have not paid attention to the morphosis chat, I may have a look but I believe if there is something I should know in order to encourage me to vote in favour of this proposal, it should be included concisely in the initial description, I shouldn’t have to look around for it.
Also, @befitsandpiper I would suggest creating a new forum post with the new amount of 52 HNY and an updated proposal, or updating the original content rather than adding a comment at the end of this one, it’s confusing for anyone directed here from 1hive.org. Final proposals for HNY should be concise and explicit, not spread out over many comments otherwise they seem vague and undefined, which is what this seems to me.

Besides this I still do not see a coherent reason why this will provide value for HNY holders. It is vaguely suggested that the return will be through subscriptions to courses. If that is the case then I’m not interested in funding this proposal as I am yet to see any evidence that those involved can provide a quality enough service that it will make an income.

Alternatively if the aim is educate bees so that they can contribute to 1hive development then I could be convinced.

I believe there is a need for software development work, many of the seed group members have a large responsibility that would be better distributed to many others, they are a choke point, without that work 1hive is likely to stall significantly. Therefore I am in favour of courses that teach software development, ideally using 1hive technology as examples, to help people get involved.

I’m not sure courses outside of software development would be useful at the moment. Marketing/Buzz doesn’t have a coherent model yet, so I think money would be better spent refining that Marketing than trying to teach ideas for use within it that may not be used. Design courses could be useful but I’m unsure.

If the model is to encourage people to contribute then I may be in support but either way I think this proposal needs to be more explicit.

3 Likes

Im new around here, is there a central location for all the development work that needs doing?

im not a pro at anything but i know my way around a compiler. I can help put some stuff together as i learn the stuff you guys are building here

Why can’t we have a program that is both for the purpose of dogfooding and training bees for the community itself and also eventually for the purpose of creating paid courses that provide value to HNY holders? That said I see your point about the vagaries, I will redact the proposal and write up a more thorough proposal in a new post.

I’m not terribly interested in another project that is just a long term money sink and does not provide value to HNY holders. I think this vision is important.

You are absolutely correct @willjgriff. My intention was to make a detailed proposal for the actual funding proposal that will be initiated. This draft is not actually a proposal in the real sense of it, it’s purpose was to spark discussions and garner contributions that will be considered for the actual funding proposal. That statement was a direct response to pressure given how strongly he came on. But i get his misunderstanding will also apply to other bees so i knew a more detailed proposal was inevitable.