Unbreakable Vows are private legal contracts that can be created and signed by parties to give legitimacy to peer to peer agreements. In the Harry Potter’s Wizarding World, an unbreakable vow is a type of binding magical contract cast between two parties, that if broken by either party, would result in the imminent death of whoever broke the contract. In the web3 world, the party who breaks the vow only loses some collateral (tokens, NFTs, etc).
This proposal is a follow-up of a previous thread in this forum:
The idea of creating private agreements between people being arbitrated by Celeste received good feedback, so we decided to create a prototype that we presented in Road to Web3 hackathon.
The demo of the prototype can be used here. Unfortunately, the project did not win any relevant price in the hackathon, although it received very good feedback, and we are already talking with some organizations that could be interested in using it to store their agreements.
These are the missing features in order to have a minimum viable product:
- Finalize the employment agreement and the independent contractor agreement with our lawyer Daniela using the system we will put in place to parse contract templates in markdown into the UI.
- Implement the IDisputable interface so the agreements can be disputed in Celeste.
- Encrypt the agreement texts to only be accessible to the parties until one of them discloses part or all the text. We will do it using Ceramic and IDX.
- Finish the Superfluid integration, so the agreements can have constant flows attached to them.
- Improve the UI and UX.
After completing them, the product could be widely used by the community.
As I explained in the first forum thread, Celeste is much more than a system to dispute Garden DAO votes. It has the capacity to fulfill the Aragon Network vision to create a cryptographically-enforced jurisdiction in which different parties can agree upon any term and connect it with smart contracts (aka ricardian contracts).
This proposal intends to advance in the direction proposed by Aligning on 1Hive direction, Organisational apps take priority, providing new uses to Celeste, and ultimately providing a new use to the Honey token:
Current efforts to make Celeste more widely used include Gardens […]. Beyond this it has been suggested we liase with other DAO’s or crowdsale platforms to see how we can integrate Celeste into their processes. If we can establish applications that rely on Celeste and are used regularly we will create a sustainable demand for Honey.
We think ricardian contracts are the natural next step for 1hive. They are the missing pieces that connect the people (Garden users) and our arbitration system of preference (Celeste). Quests and Unbreakable Vows are two examples of the systems that can formalize the relations between our users and create a strong relational network of agreements that can help holding our community.
Expected duration or delivery date (if applicable):
We expect to have a functional minimum viable product and people using it 4 months after the approval of this proposal (around June or July if the proposal passes during the following days).
Names, usernames, and/or relevant social links for team members (Twitter, Github, 1Hive Forum, etc.):
- Mateo - @mateodaza, Github.
- Daniela - @dafanador, LinkedIn.
- Juan - @juankbell, TEC forum.
- Elessar - @paulo, Github.
- Fiore - @fioreb, Github.
- Sem - @sem, Github.
Skills and previous experience in related or similar work:
- Mateo - Frontend developer at Giveth.io, main developer of Unbreakable Vows.
- Daniela - Practicing lawyer in Colombia, specialized in business law, and experienced in writing contracts among private parties.
- Juan - Conflict resolution management expert, leader of GravityDAO.
- Elessar - Full-stack developer, co-founder of Blossom Labs, his last project was integrating superfluid in aragon client.
- Fiore - Designer and 1hive seed.
- Sem - Solidity developer, co-founder of Blossom Labs, and 1hive seed.
Amount of HNY requested:
115 HNY (~$20,000 at current price)
Ethereum address where funds shall be transferred:
0x6a252ED89BcB23E63ea21B9B2f8b2b4590629410 (Unbreakable Vows Gnosis Safe)
More detailed description of how funds will be handled and used:
- 57.5 HNY will gradually be transferred to the founder’s addresses as the project reaches the MVP state in order to cover the cost of the development until now. They are not expected to be sold, but used as governance tokens.
- 57.5 HNY will be converted into xDAI in order to pay for the development required to reach an MVP version of the product.