This proposal is to support the Commons Swarm team to continue developing improvements and adaptations to the Commons Template, which includes a Hatch, an Augmented Bonding Curve, disputable Conviction Voting and disputable Voting.
Our goal is to make it easy for communities to launch microeconomies on xDai that utilize HNY for disputes (via Celeste) and create arbitrage opportunities on HoneySwap. We call these microeconomies Commons, as they are very much inspired by the Commons Stack.
Commons are initially funded by a Trusted Seed via a Hatch. This initializes a Dandelion Voting DAO (Hatch DAO), that upgrades to a Commons. The Commons has an Augmented Bonding Curve (ABC) for token issuance, manages funds via disputable Conviction Voting (dCV), and is governed by disputable Voting (dV).
See our previous successful funding request for more details.
Our original funding request was done under the name “Gardens Swarm” and was for 50 HNY which at the time was ~$50,000 USD. The price of HNY dropped, and as HNY maximalists , we held all the way down and had to request more funding here.
During the proposal review process, we were asked to engage more with the 1hive community (for which we hired Chuy to support us in that effort) and to differentiate the two flavors of Gardens.
The original idea of Gardens was following the Commons Stack model, a bonding curve feeding into a Conviction Voting DAO. Gardens implemented a new flavor (that 1hive uses in production) that has a direct issuance model replacing the bonding curve. For over a year there were simply 2 flavors of Gardens, but in an effort to better differentiate the two flavors, the flavor with a bonding curve will simply be refered to as a Commons as opposed to a Gardens.
Our Swarm intends to prioritize the maintenance of Commons, while working closely with the Swarms supporting Gardens in maintaing the shared codebase.
- User tests and first Commons deployment:
- We have been doing user testing with the TEC community, and we will do more tests, such as a full dress rehearsal with parameters chosen by a vote.
- Launch the TEC Hatch, and conduct a Commons Upgrade (migrate the funds to the fully-featured DAO).
- Process feedback from the community on how we can improve based on TEC experience so other communities can benefit from using the template.
- Freeze the hatch smart contracts for code reviews, finish the frontend, and provide a script for doing the Commons Upgrade.
- Build the Commons Template on top of Gardens. Integrate the ABC into the disputable Gardens template and frontend so we will have a disputable Commons.
- Code reviews:
- The Hatch smart contracts.
- ABC smart contracts.
- Disputable Conviction Voting smart contracts.
- Finish the Hatch DAO models.
- Build models for the Commons Upgrade.
- Use Tokenlog.xyz to vote on the Community Sourced parameter submissions (First Community Designed Economy… ever)
- Open Weekly Dev Calls in 1hive Discord.
- Forum thread with weekly recaps.
The Commons Swarm is one of several work streams building the first iteration of the future of Public Goods funding. After our first user, the TEC, launches we expect to utilize the TEC as a funding source.
Team Information (For Funding Proposals)
Commons Swarm Team
External Security Auditor
Skills and previous experience in related or similar work:
- Griff - I have been working full time in the DAO space for 5 years (TheDAO, Giveth, Commons Stack, etc) and was the product owner for the Aragon DAC for 6 months.
- Sem - Led the development of Conviction Voting Aragon App
- Fiore - 1hive designer
- Viviane - Dev. Contributed to Conviction Voting frontend
- Paulo - Dev. Developed Committees Aragon App and contributed to Conviction Voting too
- Fabi - Dev. Strong background on Frontend and Mobile development, contributed to 1hive taking some issues and started to work with smart contracts some time ago.
- Rayne - Dev Fresh graduate, still very new to the space. Currently also a Fauna community moderator at 1hive.
- Marko - Prominent designer in the space: Consensys, Giveth, DAppNode, Commons Stack, Panvala, Metagame and many more.
- Adrià - White hat hacker legend and Ethereum Core Dev. Part of the WHG team that audited the original AragonOS and MakerDAO deployments, and reviewed code for dozens of other projects.
- Chuy - Newcomer to the DAO space with experience working with Buzz and Commons Swarm comms.
Rodrigo, Fabri, and Will are 1hive seed members that are working on Gardens and are advising the project.
Amount of HNY requested:
65 HNY (~$40k at the current HNY price)
Ethereum address where funds shall be transferred:
0x62707f701899dc25c1cce48912aa3aa064d100db - Commons Swarm DAO Agent (https://aragon.1hive.org/#/commonsswarm/)
How Funds Will Be Used
This HNY will pay devs a rate of 25-50 xDAI an hour. As the project evolves more individual agreements might need to be made (Bounties for tasks, etc) but the hourly rate will stay around 25-50 xDAI/hr (based on experience) for the foreseeable future.
Honey is Money (but it’s not a great unit of account) All payments will happen in HNY, but based on the exchange rate of the date that the vote to pay out is made.
We have open accounting and you can see exactly how payments are handled and what everyone did to deserve them.